Sport Jet 90 - Need a part you may have - (Tom)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Painlesstom

Cadet
Hey Everyone,

I've got a 94' Sport Jet 90 that I've had for a few months and this forum has been some excellent reading. She ran great, 5000 rpm @ 36 mph on GPS, but the last time I had her out I had a cylinder dropping out at WOT, after jiggling the plug wires all was fine again, but then I didn't trust it so it was time to dig in and investigate. Found a coil had a cracked magnet so replaced all the coils and went through the wiring, re-seating every ground, soldering all the connections and heat shrinking everything as well as relocating the regulator (mounted to an aluminum plate with standoffs and heat sink grease) and switch box out of the engine compartment in hopes less heat and vibration will help them last longer and be more reliable. After rebuilding the fuel pump I was turning the flywheel by hand, with the plugs out, and kept hearing a clicking noise. I'd been hearing this since I got it but having no knowledge of how everything worked at first I figured it was normal. Well, feeling under the flywheel, it had three loose magnets and one broken, luckly no damage to stator and I have a new flywheel on the way. My old flywheel is in good shape though other than this magnet issue, I know I can epoxy them back on and have some ideas on improving the design, but I need ONE magnet to replace my broken one... I may be able to fix this broken magnet issue for good and improve it's balance at the same time. SO...

Does anyone have a magnet from a 94' Sport Jet 90 CDI flywheel they'd be willing to send me? ;)

If you read this Kend301, I know you are the resident "expert" on these motors. Would like to hear what you know about adding a relay between the battery and regulator to prevent stator failure? Does this work? Is it even a good idea? I've read that the battery shouldn't be disconnected while the engine is running and with the relay that is in effect what is happening when you turn the key off. My goal is avoiding the inherent bad design bugs and having a fun and reliable boat. From what I've been reading, all outboards with stators have problems due to bad connections, rectifiers etc.. not just the factory black one? Why is the black stator undesirable? Help me understand this. I would think the 9amp black stator with a good 194-5279 regulator and solid connections would stay cooler and last longer than the red one?? I have been thinking about getting a CDI Rapair 9amp 174-8778K1 stator that isn't potted, I can see the advantage to that.

I love the boat and I know this motor can be made reliable, hearing from people that have accomplished that would be great. I want your secrets..:D

Tom

Painlesstom

Cadet
Re: Sport Jet 90 - Need a part you may have - (Tom)

Anyone?? All the people I've read about on here with Sport Jet flywheel problems and nobody has 1 magnet laying around anymore?? Where are all the packrats when you need them??? I thought there were some smart people around here that understood these sport jets, did they all leave?

burnrubber

Cadet

Hey painlesstom
I dont want to post a post on a post ----but i am also looking for some parts for my sport jet 120
I will be looking in a minute on Green hulk classifieds for them
Just realized my intake grate is broken and impeller may be damaged.

As far as your magnet action goes , i have breezed topics and heard that the after market "red " units were the updated fix for the chronic problems accioated with them being somewhat faulty - or inferior from their origional design. Look at some more old posts to confirm if its true or not .

Meantime ,if you find a source for sport jet -part out boats , let me know .

Roger

Painlesstom

Cadet

Magnets are on the flywheel, not on the stator and a whole other issue completely. A loose magnet could wipe out any stator no matter what color it was ;) I think these boats are ok if maintained, I think many people tend to run them till they break. I've probably read every sport jet post on here so pretty familiar with most of the issues. Many of them could have be prevented though. Mine is running great with the new flywheel but I'd still like to fix this old one. If I hear of any 120 parts boats I'll let you know.

venxxxxx

Seaman

I got 120hp parts from a blown motor... pm me. Also looking for the same magnets you're looking for, Painlesstom. If you found them, let me know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.