to buy? 98 seadoo 718cc opinion

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class
went to see a 1998 seadoo gts 718cc
can anyone tell me about this and if its a good buy for around $1700 cdn, no trailer.
hows this engine?
every thing looked clean in the engine bay. boat was started cold and it was cranking but didnt start. so then he just poured a little gas in carb and it fired up right away. shut it off and back on again no problem.IMG_20111022_140459.jpgIMG_20111022_140403.jpg

Craigcat

Seaman Apprentice
Re: to buy? 98 seadoo 718cc opinion

A great family recreational ski. Easy to maintain and parts
are plentiful, very stabil. Nice to ride double, easy deep water to board if you get a rear step. If you want speed,
this is not for you. Polaris SL1050 is best Ever!

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 97 GTI with a 717 engine in it. I don't know if it is the same engine. Mine runs fine. $1,700 without a trailer sounds a little high unless it is in primo condition. Do all of the guages and the reserve tank work? Mine don't and I gave $800 for it without a trailer, but the guy I bought it from had a problem with the title that required me to go back to the original owner to clear things up. He had two other jet skis and I think he his wife was wanting it gone.

texasvet

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

can you tell me about the 1996 seaddo spx 717
would it be worth buying for around $2000
rebuilt with 0 hrs

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

can you tell me about the 1996 seaddo spx 717
would it be worth buying for around $2000
rebuilt with 0 hrs

It seems a little high to me unless it is in near new condition inside and out. Especially if there is no trailer included. A used single trailer will run you $250 or so.

Also, do the guages work on it?

texasvet

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

It seems a little high to me unless it is in near new condition inside and out. Especially if there is no trailer included. A used single trailer will run you $250 or so.

Also, do the guages work on it?

texasvet

hey so i went down and bought it. put the jetski in my van..fit nicely
got it for $1800 with all the parts. here is the details:

I have a 1996 Seadoo SPX with a 717 engine that has been fully rebuilt with 0 hours.
THE PWC COMES WITH FULL PAPERS. Everything has been redone inside the PWC and the outside
is in amazing condition. It is one of the cleanest SPX's that I have seen. The 717 engine has
been rebuilt with an Adrian Bernard Crank and connecting rods, WSM pistons, bored jugs and all
american bearings. This motor was built with the best parts for a bulletproof reliable performance.
All of the lines have been replaced, carbs rebuilt and matched, R&D trim tabs, brand new battery and
the VTS motor has been rebuilt. There are only a few things that need to be finished up and would make
a great winter project. All of the parts are included!

Needs To Be Completed:
-Drive Shaft Greased (cover put on)
-Plastic Intake Assembly Installed
-Jet Pump Nozzle Painted and Installed
-Install Numbers on Hull
-Add Oil and Gas
-new decals for hull numbers (any ideas would be appreciated)

I should mention this hasn't been firied so no oil, gas in it at all...completely clean.
we did a compression and one reading was just a tad lower 150psi and the other one a little over 150psi. i will probably do another test to really get the correct reading. question: should you have both plugs out to do the compression reading? he said its better because you can get a inaccurate/higher reading if one plug is on.
Also i have noticed that the choke is not hooked up so i gotta find out about that.
i plugged the batter in and the hour guage showed the red lights...no digits written however so not sure if this is how it is or we got a problem there?
how do i check if the guages work?
sry i have alot of newb questions...really dont know anything about these machines. im looking for the manual too so far no luck. here are pic. 4.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg5.jpg

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it runs when you put oil and gas in it this next spring, it sounds like you got a good deal since it has a new engine.

As far as the guages go, I haven't dug into why mine don't work yet as I bought mine at the start of this past season. I've always heard that you should also have both plugs out when you check the compression, but I'm not sure if that is necessary.

I'm heading to church now, but I'll leave you with this website: http://seadoomanuals.net/

It has all the manuals you will ever need for a SeaDoo.

texasvet

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it runs when you put oil and gas in it this next spring, it sounds like you got a good deal since it has a new engine.

As far as the guages go, I haven't dug into why mine don't work yet as I bought mine at the start of this past season. I've always heard that you should also have both plugs out when you check the compression, but I'm not sure if that is necessary.

I'm heading to church now, but I'll leave you with this website: http://seadoomanuals.net/

It has all the manuals you will ever need for a SeaDoo.

texasvet

Awsome,
Well both of us i guess are new and learning about these. I am sure it will run anyway. The rebuild was done with a credible company and i have receipts for that work. Its a clean machine as you can see so i got it.
I suspect the guages do work as when the batt is plugged in, the oil and fuel light stays on. this is accurate since the tanks are empty and clean. so i'm sure once i put in some gas it will show.

mphy98

Lieutenant

I am glad you are happy with your purchase. Let us know in spring how it goes.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

As far as the guages go, I haven't dug into why mine don't work yet as I bought mine at the start of this past season.
I also have a 97 GTI. The gauges work thru the multi-pin connector under the front storage bin. Carefully clean it up and apply some dielectric grease. That fixed mine.

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also have a 97 GTI. The gauges work thru the multi-pin connector under the front storage bin. Carefully clean it up and apply some dielectric grease. That fixed mine.

Thanks,

I'm gonna print a copy of your fix and put it in my service manual for use in the spring. I'll let you know how it works out. It will be a while. Probably April since I'm in Texas and wearing a wetsuit doesn't bother me at all.

texasvet