1st time PWC owner, please help....

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class
:confused: :confused: :confused:
ok, here's a bunch of stuff, but any help would help :)

so picked up a 97 polaris slt 780 today for 400 (auction), decent asthetic condition.... 3 things:

1. center jug only has 50 compression.... i figure just replace the cylinder (50 bucks ebay) or have it honed (50 bucks) depending on the damage.... can anyone chime in if there is a bigger problem with this model, or if i should just sell the thing or part it out before i lose my ***? (if running, they craigslist for around 1400 to 1700 (with trailer). we put it in the lake today on the trailer and it ran, but its been sitting for a year or so but i believe was winterized before that back in 9/2010...

2. the winterizing tag thats on it says 250 hours.... is this the life span of this machine (or any pwc for that matter), or does it have some life left?

3. i've owned boats, but what do i need to do to winterize this thing for outdoor storage (wisconsin). do i have to drain water from certain places, or what? thanks for the help and i'm sure i'll be around this forum quite a bit over the winter

thanks for any info guys!

jim macdonald

Recruit
Re: 1st time PWC owner, please help....

Blue engine Polaris' (Fuji engine) are notorious for leaning out on one carb. Typically, the low speed jet in one carb plugs with something, causing a lean condition on one cylinder. The remaining cylinders drag the lean one to it's death from detonation. The piston will exhibit either a small hole in the crown or a damaged edge in the exhaust port window. The fix is easy and cheap. Usually a light honing will address cyclinder damage and a new piston (correctly sized) from SBT or Wiseco should be fitted. Either kit comes with a new wrist pin, rings and retainers. A new base gasket, exhaust gasket and head gasket will be needed (SBT is a good source). Remember to first tighten the exhaust port bolts lightly when re-assembling the cylinder. If the exhaust is not aligned, the gasket will leak. And don't forget to clean the carbs, or the whole thing will happen again and right away. Use a magnify glass to check the jets for obstructions. Remember, all it takes is a tiny piece of crud to plug the low speed jet.