Sport Jet 90 starting issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotta321

Recruit
Ok so here is the abbreviated story. Today I started it briefly (3 sec) in the drive just to make sure it fired, hauled it to the lake backed it in the water to water test it for reliability. It ran for about 5 min but it was smoking badly, I noticed the bilge was not working so I stopped it, brought it home and fixed the bilge pump. Now it won't start and oil is leaking from the bottom around the water intake. I have changed the plugs and charged battery and checked the compression and checked spark for all 3 plugs, while doing this I noticed that the oil injection rod that is connected to throttle was very loose (Unsure how to set it correctly). I need help on how to check stator, trigger as well as the adjustment for the oil injector rod. As a side note the gas is about a year old so I put in some octane booster and seafoam. Thanks in advance.

Scott
615-336-0664

Craigcat

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Sport Jet 90 starting issues

Clean out the tank, replace the fuel lines with ethanol risistant lines and go thru the carb. Replace the needle & seat as its leaking gas into the engine, picking up carbon in the exhaust. Do a compression test to see if the internal engine is ok. Use reular gas and add blue Marine Sta-bil, as
the ski sits long when not used. If you do the above, it will last.

Painlesstom

Cadet
Re: Sport Jet 90 starting issues

It's a good idea to never start these out of the water without the dealer flush kit, not worth the risk of blowing the ride plate... Clarify what you mean by the oil pump rod being loose? Are the ball ends free on the balls or is there slop in the linkage? Loose is ok, slop isn't. Also would like you to clarify what you mean by oil leaking from the bottom around the water intake. Maybe you could post some pictures, that always helps make sense of things! You said you checked for spark and compression, what were the results? The above advice is good also on getting rid of the old fuel, fresh is best. Don't tear the carbs apart yet, it hasn't been determined that is necessary at this point.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.