Exhaust problem

tjm764

Recruit
I need help. I have a 1996 Sea doo GTX. The rubber connection hose between the muffler and the exhaust manifold has split twice on me. I am thinking there is a blockage in the muffler or the 3 inch rubber exhaust hose to to the stern of the boat. Is the muffler hollow or is it baffled? How much back pressure should there be? Is there a way to check it? Is there something else that can cause this problem. The ski has no cooling issues and the pump appears clear. The way I found the problem was the engine was running ruff and would not get up to top RPM. The engine was sucking in exhaust fumes. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks... Tim

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Exhaust problem

It sounds logical to me that you have blockage. Probably from left over water in the muffler rusting the inner linings of the muffler and then falls or breaks off over time. It rests in the bottom of your muffler until it's started up and revved up some where the higher pressure picks up the large rusted particles and forces them up against the exit hole of the muffler pugging it off.

This is only an opinion to what symptoms you're describing. I don't believe the GTX has baffled mufflers. I have the 97 model and I think mine does not have them either. I perform a purge after every outing where I start the craft and give it a couple quick high revs to blow out the remaining water from the muffler. Keeps the water from setting in your muffler and rusting it while not in use. It really does alot of damage if water is left in there over winter.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Exhaust problem

I need help. I have a 1996 Sea doo GTX. The rubber connection hose between the muffler and the exhaust manifold has split twice on me. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks... Tim

Are talking about the pipe that goes from the water chamber (muffler) over to the resonator? I would start by checking your engine return hose, its clear colored or should be anyway and at the bottom of the engine. Pull it off and make sure it's not full of sand or what not. Then check your resonator to be sure there are no holes in it. Are you taking on water? I bypassed the resonator on one of my GTX limiteds and it's just fine. I can't remember if that year even has one but if yours does it was the first year they started putting them on and you'll be fine just bypassing it to see if that is where your problem lies.