Waverunner 1200 winter service

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Folks

I have bought a waverunner 1200 2005 and want to put it way serviced for the winter could anyone suggest what should be included in the service as I have never serviced a ski myself.

Thanks

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Waverunner 1200 winter service

Guys just bumping this one as I am now thinking about the service again any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

1. Fill it with gas and add Stabil to the fuel. I also recommend adding a carb cleaner......Yamaha Ring Free Plus is the best, but some guys like Seafoam. Some guys like to empty the fuel tank, other (myself included) leave it full. Either works, but if you decide to empty the tank never completely run the carbs dry of fuel..........very bad for the engine.
2. Run it on the hose to get some of the stabilized fuel and carb cleaner into the carbs, and engine.
3. Remove the hose and run the engine dry for 10 seconds, blipping the throttle slightly to clear water out of the cooling system. Wait for a couple of hours or the next day and repeat until no more water comes out (it helps if the bow is up some). Do not run the engine more than 15 seconds while doing this and be sure it cools completely before repeating. Depending on how cold it gets where you are (assuming the ski will be outside) this is all you need to do. Some guys recommend putting antifreeze into the system. However, Yamaha skis are self draining, and if you do the above you will be OK in all but the most severe winter conditions. If you do decide to add antifreeze, be aware that you have to use a pressurized system to get the antifreeze into the ski and clamp off the inlet water line, otherwise 90% of the antifreeze is dumped out of the water intake and never gets circulated. Many guys that add antifreeze don't know this, but never have a problem, not because they got any antifreeze into the system, but because Yamaha skis are designed to be self draining.
4. Fog the engine: On the powervalve models like the 2005 you have to pull the plugs, and spray in the fogging oil. Turn the engine over a couple of times to distribute the oil, but don't start the ski again at this point.
5. Spray anti-corrosive spray on all metal parts. Fluid Film, Corrosion X, and CRC 656 are options and my preferences in that order. Spray silicone spray on plastic and rubber parts.
6. I lubricate my cables, linkages, and all other moving parts at this point. It is also a good time to check the oil injection hoses, etc.. On Yamaha skis an oil injection line coming off is the #1 cause of engine failure.
7. I recommend washing and waxing the ski before storage also, and put a vinyl protectant on the seats (303 Aerospace).
8. Pull the battery and put it on a tender.
9. Cover the ski and your done.

If your ski has a shut off for the fuel system, close it before storage if you are leaving the tank full.

If you do the above, all you have to do in the spring is reinstall the battery, start it and run on the hose, then pull the spark plugs and clean them or replace, then you are ready to ride. I always pull the spark plugs after the first run on the hose in the spring, because the fogging oil tends to foul them. You don't want that to happen on your first ride of the season while you are out on the water.

I've probably forgotten something, but that will get you started.

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1. Fill it with gas and add Stabil to the fuel. I also recommend adding a carb cleaner......Yamaha Ring Free Plus is the best, but some guys like Seafoam. Some guys like to empty the fuel tank, other (myself included) leave it full. Either works, but if you decide to empty the tank never completely run the carbs dry of fuel..........very bad for the engine.
2. Run it on the hose to get some of the stabilized fuel and carb cleaner into the carbs, and engine.
3. Remove the hose and run the engine dry for 10 seconds, blipping the throttle slightly to clear water out of the cooling system. Wait for a couple of hours or the next day and repeat until no more water comes out (it helps if the bow is up some). Do not run the engine more than 15 seconds while doing this and be sure it cools completely before repeating. Depending on how cold it gets where you are (assuming the ski will be outside) this is all you need to do. Some guys recommend putting antifreeze into the system. However, Yamaha skis are self draining, and if you do the above you will be OK in all but the most severe winter conditions. If you do decide to add antifreeze, be aware that you have to use a pressurized system to get the antifreeze into the ski and clamp off the inlet water line, otherwise 90% of the antifreeze is dumped out of the water intake and never gets circulated. Many guys that add antifreeze don't know this, but never have a problem, not because they got any antifreeze into the system, but because Yamaha skis are designed to be self draining.
4. Fog the engine: On the powervalve models like the 2005 you have to pull the plugs, and spray in the fogging oil. Turn the engine over a couple of times to distribute the oil, but don't start the ski again at this point.
5. Spray anti-corrosive spray on all metal parts. Fluid Film, Corrosion X, and CRC 656 are options and my preferences in that order. Spray silicone spray on plastic and rubber parts.
6. I lubricate my cables, linkages, and all other moving parts at this point. It is also a good time to check the oil injection hoses, etc.. On Yamaha skis an oil injection line coming off is the #1 cause of engine failure.
7. I recommend washing and waxing the ski before storage also, and put a vinyl protectant on the seats (303 Aerospace).
8. Pull the battery and put it on a tender.
9. Cover the ski and your done.

If your ski has a shut off for the fuel system, close it before storage if you are leaving the tank full.

If you do the above, all you have to do in the spring is reinstall the battery, start it and run on the hose, then pull the spark plugs and clean them or replace, then you are ready to ride. I always pull the spark plugs after the first run on the hose in the spring, because the fogging oil tends to foul them. You don't want that to happen on your first ride of the season while you are out on the water.

I've probably forgotten something, but that will get you started.

Thats great thanks a lot for the detailed response. I was worried about changing fuel filters and air filters(not that after a good look this has one) so thats great thanks again.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

The external fuel filter should have been replaced at the 10 hour service, then not again until 200 hours unless you have problems. Some guys replace them more often if you have lots of crap in your fuel. Its an easy job.

There are no real air filters on the stock engines, but you will need to clean/rebuild the carbs every 3-4 years or sooner if you are running ethanol fuel. If you run ethanol fuel, I'd run Stabil Marine or its equivalent in every tank.