Got my dream ski today!!! 96xp

Matt Braley

Cadet
$300 It's stock and complete but probably froze. I have a 95xp old race ski and with all the mods it may not take the stock 96. I have often heard of the desireability of this hull and understand it's the first year for the power valve engine. The SBC catalog shows them rebuilding the looks of one and it turns out great. Anybody got any suggestions on what performance mods to choose? I am going to cover all the basics first. Thanks in advance

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Got my dream ski today!!! 96xp

Nice score. I'm constantly on craigslist looking for, among other skis, a 1996 Sea Doo XP. I've been told that ski is the all around "funnest" ski out there :) .

One popped up about 10 days ago for a great price. Unfortunately I had a plane to catch and yet another '96 XP slipped through my fingers :facepalm: .

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

I picked up a 1995 XP with a Magnum double trailer for $1,200 a couple of months ago. The ski starts and runs fine. The only problem it has is with the trim. The original owner told me that it needed a trim motor so I opened the VTS and the wires to it have been cut, I assume by him. Also, the switch on the VTS switch on the left grip is broken/missing. I'm hoping that I can fix the trim for a hundred or so.

Also, once the ski gets up on plane, which takes about 15 seconds, it runs and handles fine. It just draggs in the water for a while until I get it up.

texasvet

zoomjay

Recruit

I have had a 96 xp for a few years... I use it to play around with and jump waves (on the bay). A few thoughts for you: yes... it is a 2 seater... barely... really more of a 1.5'er. And yes... the hull is fun primarily because it is relatively flat and thus playful. On a long ride, though, it will beat you badly. The ski is also fun because it has pretty big motor (787 cc - 110 hp) and is small and relatively light (400 lbs)... thus, it will GET faster than most. If the motor is dead (won't turn over)... yes, go with an SBT motor... good warranty and it will work out of the box. You should also consider going to pre-mix fuel/oil. While there, you also need to replace all fuel lines and the fuel selector valve (the gray ones tend to dissolve, clog carbs which run lean and motors die - which is what you have now). Also... you need to have the carbs rebuilt while you are at it.
As far as mods go... I would suggest you get it running... ride it a bit and see what you do or don't like about it. You can sink a lot of money into what is, basically, a $ 1,500 ski (on a good day). Stock it will hit about 60 mph and leave most stuff on the water cold while doing it. If you really want to go faster than 60... well, you should consider a larger boat with a better/more stable hull. Handling... new sponsons are good.... although, again... you have to make sure you have an idea as to what your goals are... wait... need to stop... feel like I am going on here... enjoy...

Matt Braley

Cadet

Man, I wish I knew as much about my boat problems as I know about yours. I guess thats what this site is all about. I have the worlds greatest 95xp so let me tell you all about them. First is the trim, forget about it. I have had 2 other 95 xp's and known of 8 others and the trim was gone on all. Almost all of them have the cut wires and water has ruined all the electric motors. Mine is set it one spot and always feels good(lots of other mods on hull). Next is your wear ring. Anyway your ski should literally jump out of the water for a second with you on it when you slam the gas. Your pump reeds love for sure if your engine is not missing.

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man, I wish I knew as much about my boat problems as I know about yours. I guess thats what this site is all about. I have the worlds greatest 95xp so let me tell you all about them. First is the trim, forget about it. I have had 2 other 95 xp's and known of 8 others and the trim was gone on all. Almost all of them have the cut wires and water has ruined all the electric motors. Mine is set it one spot and always feels good(lots of other mods on hull). Next is your wear ring. Anyway your ski should literally jump out of the water for a second with you on it when you slam the gas. Your pump reeds love for sure if your engine is not missing.

Hello Matt,

Your post has me wondering about a couple of things.

1. When you say "jump" out of the water, mine doesn't. It looks like the angle is set pretty flat as in the thrust is dead straight out of the rear. There doesn't appear to be any down angle at all. Should I manually adjust it a few degrees downward to get my rear up quicker? It takes a good ten seconds for me to get up on top and that is with close to full throttle.

2. Mine is also a 95XP and what mods are you talking about that are available and what will they do for me? Also, at what cost?

Thanks,
texasvet

Matt Braley

Cadet

When I say jump out of the water I'm talking about the rpms coming up and hitting the rev limiter for a second simply by mashing the gas. My thought for yours was that your pump tolerances could be way loose so you are not translating your engines power to acceleration efficiently. I would get your pump right with maybe a new impellor having slightly higher pitch than original($150 for imp.). Now the must have mod is the factory pipe kit. They want this put on a stock engine but mine has big carbs and a head too. I do not believe in that but I bought my 95xp still set up by whoever built it for racing. Just the Factory pipe kit alone is all you need. 15hp increase along all ranges. It also comes with a rev limiter that gives you about another grand on top I think. I am not shure of the new cost but I have sold a couple on ebay over the years and got 3-$350 used. You would have to change the carb jets I would imagine but you better check with them on the specifics. One more thing is sponsons. When I turn the bars on my ski it turns! I used to corner with the old 3 wheeler lean. I put on the big sponsons if a keeper ski still has original. Sounds stupid to admit, but I've often rode on plane up and down streams 8 foot wide cause I know its gonna turn.