96 sea doo gtx

zerobalance

Cadet
im having charging problems, and the ski wont get up and go. in the yard it revvs fine, in the water its dying, but will idle fine. i changed the hoses, and like 3 starters. voltage regulator, elecrtonic module. battery wont keep a charge overnite. starter solonoid is now clicking . batt is charged with 12 .35 volts. if i remove the red batt wire when its running it will die. there is 6 ohms on the rear solonoid. ... how can i test the voltage regulator? how can i test the magnito?

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 96 sea doo gtx

Sounds like the stator is giving you trouble - I'm just not sure how to test it. I know there are several experienced folks here in this forum that can tell you how to test it.

zerobalance

Cadet

pulled the starter solonoid, and im gonna replace it. did the 96 have a stator? if i unplug the connector that goes into the oil pump i get no power to anything. so testing would be hard. is there a trigger in there also? im at a total loss.
does optimo make a battery for skis? whats the best battery to buy?

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

im having charging problems, and the ski wont get up and go. in the yard it revvs fine, in the water its dying, battery wont keep a charge overnite

I would purchase a new batt before I did anything else. Just because after it charges it has 12+V doesn't mean it's a good batt. If it can't hold it's charge overnight, there is not much the ski is gonna be able to do with it.

Craigcat

Seaman Apprentice

The charging system on a Sea Doo is quite simple, but often mis-diagnosed. The stator puts out three-phase AC power, which is rectified into DC, then regulated to a max 15 VDC. A common problem is for one or more of the diodes short out, and pass the AC into the DC system. If you rev the engine and measure voltage with the meter set on DC, you might not discover that you are actually injecting a large amount of AC, which screws up the MPEM at high RPM, a very common overlooked problem.
Simply switch the meter to AC and rev the engine, should not see more than a volt of AC; if you see several volts, your rectifier is blown.