looking for info about 95 tigershark

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i am looking at buying a 95 tigershark. I don't know much about pwc, but am familiar with i/o boats, also a auto mechanic. its a 95 3 seater with reverse and a 640.
questions
1) is there a lot of problems with them, reliability
2) is there still parts available for them.
3)seller says it takes on a little water in the hull from a seal, assuming some type of drive seal or shaft seal, is this fixable or is it a high dollar repair, sorry for the lack of info im going to look at it tomorrow night and was hoping to get a little insight.
Im basically looking for something to use once in awhile in the bay just so we can get off the boat.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: looking for info about 95 tigershark

I have owned two different t-sharks. One - a 94 Monte Carlo (Monte Carlos are the three seaters) and one 96 Monte Carlo - both 640s. I believe they are just as reliable as any other 2 stroke - 2 cyl model. They are a little more simplistic in design and therefore easier to work on if needed.

As far as parts go, they aren't being manufactured anymore. But there is a vast amount of good used and new parts out there online. I actually have a cylinder head and cylinder left over from a top end I did on the 94 model last year which was a 640 and in good useable shape. I sold the TS afterwards cause my wife wanted a seadoo. The rebuild was one of the easiest I've tackled and I've done several diifferent 2 strokes from small lawn equipment to outboards. It happened to be my second PWC build with good results.

I've never had a seal problem in the ones I've owned, so you'll have to be for sure as to which seal is leaking before knowing what the monetary damage will be. I've heard that seals around the driveshaft are a real pain due to the nature of the repair. Probably need special tools for removal and install of the pump/driveshaft parts. If possible, have the seller start it for you with a flush hose attached to see if the leak is possibly related to the cooling system which is easier to repair. The seller might even meet you at the lake to set it in the water to determine where the leak is.

I liked the TS 640s but I also like to go much faster so I sold them, but would be a good choice to be able to get off your boat for a change of pace.

86invader

Cadet

Parts are scarce for these.. Artic cat is no longer making PWC parts. I know of only one place that sells parts Its mfg inc. they are selling all thier parts very cheap. Sorry to be the bad news bear!

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the info