Typical engine life ?

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
What should one anticipate for a "typical" engine life for current four-cycle jet skis ? I am considering purchase of a frequently used Yamaha FX Cruiser that has 160 engine hours and wonder how many more hours are in this engine before major maintenance would be necessary ? And surprisingly, this ski is less than one year old.

Thanks for any advice -

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Typical engine life ?

That's like asking how many miles can a car go. I personally sell mine when they reach 100,000, but that's just me.

I know people with skis like that with 500 or 600 hours on them and they still run like a top. I've seen rentals with 4000 hours on them. All depends on how well they were maintained. And if they were sunk and dewatered, all bets are off.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

JimS,

Thanks for your experience. It sounds like we will never know how the PO cared for the equipment - or if they tell the truth about its service record.
Too bad the installed computer systems can't record sinkings, ect. My wife's current jet ski only has 120 hours and is almost 13 years old.

erie_guy

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

+1 on service and routine maintenance. Some who rides the **** out of it and puts it away will never get the hours that an average rider who maintains their craft will. My wife has a SeaDoo 215 RXP 4-stroke supercharged. She hit 50 MPH once. If I were to ride it, the only time it would see 50 would be on it's way to 70. When looking for a used PWC, look for someone like her that's selling it.