U.S. Gov't requires PWC operators to use wetsuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
My 2010 Waverunner came with stickers saying:

"Wear protective clothing. Severe internal injuries can occur if water is forced into body cavities as a result of falling into the water or being near the jet thrust nozzle. Normal swimwear does not adequately protect against forceful water entry into the rectum or vagina. All riders must wear a wetsuit bottom or clothing that provides equivalent protection." :confused:

While traveling, I noticed that rental Waverunners in Barbados and the Bahamas didn't have any such safety stickers.

What to you think about Regulations placed on the PWC manufacturers--and what civil servant rocket scientist figured out how to prevent "forceful water entry?"

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: U.S. Gov't requires PWC operators to use wetsuits

well i can honestly say....ive never had a 90 hp enema......but i am not aware of rules like these in canada

fishrdan

Admiral

You know,,, that sticker wouldn't be there unless :eek:

Either that or the the PWC manufacturer's doing a preemptive strike against frivolous lawsuits...

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

You know,,, that sticker wouldn't be there unless :eek:

Either that or the the PWC manufacturer's doing a preemptive strike against frivolous lawsuits...

Just such a lawsuit did occur, and was the main reason that Polaris dropped their PWC line. I read the lawsuit and the Polaris public statement as to leaving the market years ago. A woman passanger had fallen off a Polaris and was injured (internally) by the jet stream.

The judge ruled that Polaris was responsible, even though the judge admitted that Polaris had made ample warning(s) about the danger, and that Polaris had not done anything less than the remaining PWC manufacturers to alert the consumers. The dollar amount of the award escapes me, but it was in the millions and the tipping point for Polaris' dropping their line.

The press release used to be on the Polaris website, but the last time I looked for it it was gone...along with all of their PWC information.

Happy boating!

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

A wetsuit is not a bad idea at all on some of these newer skis that are nearing 70 mph in stock form. I've been tossed at 60 mph and it was like hitting a brick wall, but fortunately (says my wife) I hit the water on my hard head and not my butt. At those speeds, I think you've got more to worry about than water getting forced up an "orifice". I know a guy that got bucked off at around 70 mph and ended up with a dislocated shoulder and 2 broken vertebra. He was lucky he didn't end up paralyzed, and fortunately he landed face up so he didn't drown before somebody pulled him out of the water.

QC

Supreme Mariner

a preemptive strike against frivolous lawsuits...
Yup.

There is nothing in that sticker, nor any state or US law that I know of that indicates the US Gov't had anything to do with this. I am going to leave this thread for the purpose of reminding all that we don't allow politically charged posts here, and that's why I deleted one of the posts here too ;)

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Falling off a PWC at 70 mph could also give you a fresh water enema. I don't see any warning label about high speeds.

But, the government has a gentlemen's agreement with the manufacturers to hold these machines to 68 mph. Some modified PWC's are running in the 80's, however.

Putting a 15 year old kid on such a high performance PWC is like putting a 16 year old on a Suzuki 1300 Haybusta rice rocket--it's WHEN your going to get hurt more than IF your going to get hurt. Few youngsters have the maturity to handle such a machine.

My entry level Waverunner runs 54 mph, and I seldom even see 40 mph. It's fast enough for me.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.