Starts off great then....

rking

Cadet
Hello all,
I'm sort of a newbie here but was hoping for some insight as to what may be going on with this 98 Seadoo Gtx Ltd. History: Crossed water lines led to overheating which melted the exhaust hose (I assume). The boat took on water and almost sank before making it back to the dock. Spark plugs removed and lube sprayed in cylinders and exhaust hose replaced back in 2007. Put back in the lake and she started to take on water so the owner parked it for roughly 4 years (inside his basement). I started working on it this year and found a hole in the resonator muffler. I replaced that and did a compression test on the engine which read around 130 on both. I cleaned tank, fuel filters and replaced fuel. Took her to the lake and she ran great for about 20 minutes then started to bog down. Barely made it back to the dock at a crawl. Took her home and replaced fuel lines and had the carbs rebuilt (by a Seadoo mech.). Took her back to the lake and discovered two problems. First, she ran great for about 2-3 minutes right off the trailer. RPMS made it to 6-7k and speedometer read around 55-60mph at WOT. However, after a couple minutes she gradually started slowing down even at full throttle. Eventually WOT was only about 3-4k rpm and about 30 mph tops. The other issue is when I looked in the hull and she was taking on water on the left side under the motor. It was flowing on top on the hull lip and running down to the bottom of the hull. Not sinking but might if ran for a few hours. Any ideas on what might be going on with either of these issues? I appreciate any insight on what might be going on here.
Thanks

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starts off great then....

Engine power falling off after a few minutes of running great-I've seen where people have a gas tank that is not venting properly so the tank creates a vacuum as the gas is being consumed by the engine. The carbs start to struggle to pull fuel from the tank due to the vacuum and power falls off. Some have suggested running the ski with the gas cap on loose so that it can breath through the cap. If the ski runs good and doesn't lose power after time, then you know that your tank's vent is clogged up.

Sorry that I can't help with your water problem.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Don't run the ski with the cap loose...you'll lose it. You can loosen it to see if that is your problem, but if that fixes it, just fix the tank vent.

As far as the water coming in, check the water lines that connect the cylinders at their bottoms, where they join the case. You can trace this 3/8" line from the exhaust connection at the rear of the ski back up under the engine. It goes into a T fitting with a short piece of hose on each side which pulls cooling water from around the cylinders and dumps it out thru the exhaust. If the ski got hot enough to melt stuff, it's more than likely that this is melted too. The sucky part is that you may have to pull the exhaust off to get to it.

rking

Cadet

Thanks guys.... I'll check those items. I forgot to mention that I cleaned the fuel selector valve as well. Doesn't seem logical to me that there would be an issue with this item as it runs good for a while but I'm not that familiar with all the workings. First time working on a PWC. I'm learning a lot thanks to everyone on here. I really appreciate it. I'll keep everyone posted so it might help someone else. Thanks again.

rking

Cadet

Thanks Fireman.... I appreciate the help. I can figure out a few things but am still learning on many others. I guess you gotta start somewhere.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you don't have a flush hose, it would be a good idea to buy one (they aren't that expensive) and hook it up at your residence to see where the water would be coming from without having to launch it on the lake and take a bigger risk of sinking it or getting stranded.

The best investment is that advice from fireman431 - a shop manual. It will show you exploded views of your entire machine so that you can locate the correct hose connections :D

rking

Cadet

Update to no update.... Well I have been reminded by the Mrs. that I am neglecting my duties around the house. :eek: I tried to explain the importance of finishing the project I started but in my hast to come up with a rebuttal to her well measured accounting I fail to consider the many other projects I have yet to finished. Fortunately for me I was promptly reminded. :redface:

I haven't had time to test out the advice from everyone but hopefully will get back to the project shortly. Just wanted to thank everyone again for all the help.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Having had 3 of this exact machine, two of which have done close to the same as what you describe, I think I can help.

First thing first. Check your engine return line at the bottom of the motor....it's clear and probably packed full of sand. Next check the water reg valve located at the top of the muffler (see pic), it's the first to go when the engine gets hot, hence the 2nd overheat if you did not replace the first time. You also probably melted the resonator again....you can bypass it...I did but do at your own risk. Next you must replace all the grey fuel lines....they are garbage. Lastly in each carb there is a small fuel filter, either replace it with a carb kit or at min clean it out....it's probably full of little rocks and crap. It's not a fun job but after you've had it off and back on 15 dozen times cause you keep sxrewing it up you'll find it's not that bad to do. Don't undo the gas cap at all. You have a machine that is prone to sink from what it sounds like, undoing the gas cap is a horrible idea.