Sea Rayder Dry Test?

downsideup

Cadet
I'm looking at a Sea Rayder jet boat as a possible trade. I have another Sea Ray with a Merc outboard but I know very little about jet boats. I'm not even sure what engine is in it yet. I think it's a 14' with a 90. I'll know tomorrow after I drive 50 miles to look at it. Is there any way to check the jet drive without putting the thing in the water? Is there anything specific I should be looking for? Oh...and the trade is not for my other Sea Ray; it's for a 2 wheeled land vehicle. You couldn't pry my cold dead hands off my vintage Sea Ray! Thanks!

wezley5150

Recruit
Re: Sea Rayder Dry Test?

Unless you have a the hose adapter, DO NOT start this out of water! You'll blow the ride plate off or even worse..... Even with the hose adapter only a small amount of water pressure is needed, ie. do not turn the hose on full blast...... Honestly, I would just put the boat in water if you've never had any experience with these boats... This way you can test the engine, the jet drive, and to see if you even like this style of boat. A jet drive is a little different....

The engine is a Mercury sport jet 90, (its a FORCE powerhead sold thru mercury).

downsideup

Cadet
Re: Sea Rayder Dry Test?

Thank you. I realize you can't start it without water. I was looking for more specific information such as tolerances of the jet, play in mechanical parts that sort of thing. Testing the boat in water is out of the question since it's 50 miles from any water. Any help is greatly appreciated.