Sport jet 90 NO SPARK

jazzguy

Cadet
ok so i just traded my busted old jeep cherokee for someones bust bayliner jazz it has a sportjet 90 in it and it has a few issues number one being the is no ignition (the guys said it had one when he parked it) so i need to find out what wires need to be hot all the time and what wires only need to be hot when trying to start so on and so forth that is my first step so if anyone can help me out that would be great

jazzguy

Cadet
Re: Sport jet 90 NO SPARK

oh also i should also probly say that i can get it to turn over but there is no spark which i contribute to not haveing any of the other electronics working

jazzguy

Cadet

well i managed to find a better manual for it and a boat shop near me had the correct ignition for it in stock so i will put it in and try it out tomorrow but i do have one more issue at least i think it will be an issue and that is that the switch box has a place for a wire and it is labeled "red" so i am assuming there is supposed to be a red wire that connects there and i have looked around and can not find one that isnt hooked up somewhere else but there is a junction box of some sort junction box underneath it and it has 2 wires in each spot except for the spot where the red wires are on it in which case it has 4 but one of them is a double wire single connector that is a complete flat closed circle connector and the other 2 are one wire per connector with flat U connectors so 4 wires but 3 connectors with 2 matching connectors and one odd connector i am hoping that some one can get back to me pretty quick on if one or 2 of these wires should be on the switch box because i want to fix my boat but i dont want to randomly move wires around.

jazzguy

Cadet

wow that is amazing and will be a lot of help any idea where i can find parts for this thing? i now that i can get it to turn over it is getting fire randomly and it really doesn't seem like its to the right cylinder when it does.still having issues with the missing red wire i will probably post a pic on here of what i am talking about later and thank for your help

jazzguy

Cadet

so those are the pic i got of it but as you can tell i suck at editing pics but i found a repair shop that said it could only be 1. the ignition switch, 2. the stator, 3. the trigger, or 4. the switch box. he said if i want to do the work myself he would sell me all new everything for 450 bucks but im not sure if that a good deal for these parts or not but if i wanted to pay him to actually diagnose and repair it it could cost up to 1000 dollars and i traded a busted piece of crap for that boat so i dont have much into it but at the same time i dont want to replace parts that dont need to be replaced cuz them i would have good parts laying around in a pile with bad parts too

jazzguy

Cadet

also i was wondering if i bought a ne harness it would probably come with a pretty good diagram for installing it so i might just do that to figure out the mystery wire

e-spin

Cadet

I was not able to see your posted attachments. There are plenty of tests for the stator and the trigger, you have to get the ignition correct first or you are likely to starve a component for power and it will not work. The switch box is the most expensive part and has no real test, its a differential diagnosis, that is , if everything else is OK and it still doesn't work(spark) then its a bad switch box.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have you read the sticky thread at the top of this forum ?? start there and post some ewsults and you will get help in here

jeffer64

Recruit

Have you read the sticky thread at the top of this forum ?? start there and post some ewsults and you will get help in here

i have a sport jet 120 and had the similar problem it turned out to be the rev limiter if you disconnect it and it runs that is your problem hope this works for you

jazzguy

Cadet

ok i get what everyone is saying but i cant really diagnose the issue if i cant figure out the wiring so im wondering if anyone can post some pics of what it should look like just the red wires in that area so i can make sure i hook mine up right and then i can diagnose the rest of the issues