Sunk!

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had an interesting day. The wife rolled the 98' Seadoo GTX, right after we finally got it running of course :facepalm:

It's all good though, it happens. The part that pissed me off was not only did not one person stop to help us (I had my 3 year old daughter with us at the time btw)but the ****ers also flew past us, one at a time, not less than a rock throw away. This not only made it impossible to set up for tow properly, but continued to capsize the runner to the point that by the time we got it back to the dock it was 97% under water. One guy out of a hundred+ finally offered some help, throughout that whole ordeal all the other cattle just watched or better yet tried to sink us further.

Anyway. Got it on the trailer, drained it, tipped it c.c.w. several times, pulled plugs, grounded them, the cranked it over. That was a **** load of water in there. I spent a couple of hours putting dialectic grease on all of the connections, spraying the compartment with anti corrosion spray, fogging the engine, then blowing out more water from the cylinders. I haven't got this far but I'm planning on changing out all the gas, I bought new fuel line (they were the grey ones anyway), and I'm gonna toss all the oil (it looks actually like the oil stayed good but why chance it)

I think i've conveyed it all for now but what else should I do NOW? I have the motor all but pulled and need to know what I'm overlooking. I know I need to drain all the crank case oil but how can I be sure that it's flushed? Do I need to pull the stator off? I pulled the carb, do you think I have to rebuild now or just clean and dry? I keep just drenching everything in fogging oil, figure it can't hurt, but I don't want to over kill. It wanted to crank over after it all want down, I wasn't letting it of course, I had the spart plugs grounded on the post and was cranking.

Well....what I am I missing? I have no idea if it was running as it was tippind or not.She don't know. And it was impossible for me to clamp the water intake line with the way all that was going on so we had to just tow it as it was.

Wish me luck

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Sunk!

We used to flip ours all the time. We just flipped it over, pulled the spark plugs, cranked it over to get the water out, then put in new plugs and fired it up. You might be able to do that if it hasnt set too long with water in the cylinder. We carried extra plugs in a water proof bag with a couple tools so we could do it right on the water. We usually went with a group in case one of us broke down too.

We actually sold our PWCs when my daughter was born and bought a boat. Now that she is 12 we are beginning to look for one again.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

We used to roll our wave runners all the time. never once did we have that much issue. I would have to guess you have a bad seat seal or something. Those are designed to be rolled over, and flipped back over in the water with little or no damage.

rogerwa

Commander

You would be good to run it hard. I sunk mine and thought I had it pickled OK. Never had it running until the next season and then one of my crank bearings seized. If I had run the motor and gotten the lubrication around and gotten the water out of the crank area, I proably would have been fine..

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had an interesting day. The wife rolled the 98' Seadoo GTX, right after we finally got it running of course :facepalm:

It's all good though, it happens. The part that pissed me off was not only did not one person stop to help us (I had my 3 year old daughter with us at the time btw)but the ****ers also flew past us, one at a time, not less than a rock throw away. This not only made it impossible to set up for tow properly, but continued to capsize the runner to the point that by the time we got it back to the dock it was 97% under water. One guy out of a hundred+ finally offered some help, throughout that whole ordeal all the other cattle just watched or better yet tried to sink us further.

Anyway. Got it on the trailer, drained it, tipped it c.c.w. several times, pulled plugs, grounded them, the cranked it over. That was a **** load of water in there. I spent a couple of hours putting dialectic grease on all of the connections, spraying the compartment with anti corrosion spray, fogging the engine, then blowing out more water from the cylinders. I haven't got this far but I'm planning on changing out all the gas, I bought new fuel line (they were the grey ones anyway), and I'm gonna toss all the oil (it looks actually like the oil stayed good but why chance it)

I think i've conveyed it all for now but what else should I do NOW? I have the motor all but pulled and need to know what I'm overlooking. I know I need to drain all the crank case oil but how can I be sure that it's flushed? Do I need to pull the stator off? I pulled the carb, do you think I have to rebuild now or just clean and dry? I keep just drenching everything in fogging oil, figure it can't hurt, but I don't want to over kill. It wanted to crank over after it all want down, I wasn't letting it of course, I had the spart plugs grounded on the post and was cranking.

Well....what I am I missing? I have no idea if it was running as it was tippind or not.She don't know. And it was impossible for me to clamp the water intake line with the way all that was going on so we had to just tow it as it was.

Wish me luck

If this helps - I sank my Arctic Cat sled on the Little Chena River. -20 degrees, went back the next day, hoisted and pulled the machine out of the frozen river, dragged it into the garage and immediately start pullin on that rope - with the plugs removed of course. Water hit the ciling several times. It took around 2 hourrs of just occasionally trying a few pulls and cleaning it in between. But it finally started and I just had to keep her going through the spitting out of all that water that remained.

--- But it worked. It would run 125 before and after :D

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

your going to want to get it running asap.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

We used to roll our wave runners all the time. never once did we have that much issue. I would have to guess you have a bad seat seal or something. Those are designed to be rolled over, and flipped back over in the water with little or no damage.

Ya I know...Like I said if it weren't for the people driving past us casting a 3 foot wake over and over again we would have been fine. I'm glad I pulled the motor though...there was water all through out the motor and I immediately pulled the plugs and cranked it over. I do agree though about the seats because after I righted it, it had allot more water in there then it should, but it was far from sunk if it weren't for people being inconsiderate.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you are going thru the pickeling of a boat that has been sunk in salt.......where were you boating?

if you are in fresh.....what you have done is way over kill. its good...but not necessary.

just change the fluids and go......

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

been there, done that. The worst I ever had was a blown intake seal. Once I discovered that problem and fixed it my scooter ran better than ever!

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

The reason i commented what i did, is because i came up on a guy in the river with the same issue you are having. When i found him all you could see was the seat and the bars. The guy was still sitting on the ski!

i was on our 1100cc 110hp Yamaha wave runner, and i had him get off and roped to him. told him when the rope got tight and it started moving jump on and hold on. I gunned it and my ski jumped up on its side as it pulled him up on plain. I got him to the sand bar and it took 8 guys to get it up on land and roll it over. I think they got it running before the day was over though..

I went back and checked on him, and his seat seal failed. there was a 4in chunk missing. every time he rolled it out playing around, water was flooding in.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Had an interesting day. The wife rolled the 98' Seadoo GTX

2 stroke, 787 engine, I assume?

The part that pissed me off was not only did not one person stop to help us (I had my 3 year old daughter with us at the time btw)but the ****ers also flew past us, one at a time, not less than a rock throw away.

Most people are jerks, especially to people on Jet Skis.

I haven't got this far but I'm planning on changing out all the gas, I bought new fuel line (they were the grey ones anyway), and I'm gonna toss all the oil (it looks actually like the oil stayed good but why chance it)

Take a sample of the gas and see if there is water in it. If you got it running again, chances are the gas is still good. If the oil container wasn't all milky, the oil is good as well. Don't waste you money on replacing the stuff that didn't get damaged.

I know I need to drain all the crank case oil but how can I be sure that it's flushed?

2 strokes don't have crankcase oil. I thought 98 was too early for 4 strokes, or am I mistaken?

I pulled the carb, do you think I have to rebuild now or just clean and dry?

Blow out the water and run new gas thru it.

....but I don't want to over kill.

Too late :D

And it was impossible for me to clamp the water intake line with the way all that was going on so we had to just tow it as it was.

If you didn't tow over 15 MPH, you're fine. The manual says not to exceed that towing speed without the clamp.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Final update....

crankcase was full of water, but I think it's all cleared out. everything is all back together and seems all is well. I figured out what had happened. previous owners added a bilge pump, just a normal one meant for a boat that was draining the battery so I removed it...no problem. What I forgot was, there is a one inch hole under the seat that was drilled in for the bilge tube...Ya, I never plugged that up. That's why when the ski rolled it was half under water by the time I flipped it back over:facepalm:. I suppose I'm the goomba on this one. Check that one on the lessons learned category. Thanks for your input fellas

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

I knew there was something else going on there. Glad you found the problem before it happened again!