Smokes like hell...01' Seadoo GTI

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Seems as though there is a hole somewhere in the exhaust system, but I can't be sure without tearing it apart. I was hoping maybe someone has some knowledge they can share that will save me some diag time. It runs good on th trailer, but that has always been with the seats off, it seems as though it chokes all the air out with them on....obviously there is an issue.
Any thoughts specifically?

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Smokes like hell...01' Seadoo GTI

I have same problem on the 97 Yamaha GP1200 I just bought. I found that there were a couple really soft spots in the final exhaust hose when I first inspected the machine. They were VERY soft and about the diameter of a golf ball. When I started it after I got it home, I noticed alot of smoke too. I then looked closer and noticed a "pee" hole of water coming out from the middle of one of them. So made sense to me to assume that if water is coming out, then so is smoke.

So feel around as much hose as you can looking for soft spots. If you find one, spark the motor up and hold your hand there. That's what I did and it didn't burn my hand at all. You should be able to feel the exhaust coming out along with any water.

As far as choking off air supply, that's a good headscratcher since there are several passages that air can easily enter the engine chamber. I think it's probably getting plenty of intake air or it wouldn't start. Just an assumption.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

New info....Our friend whom was on the machine last time it ran right, just informed us that "she ran over a tree and it started to smoke". HMMM. I've check the impeller, completely torn apart the exhaust system and examine, and nothing inside the intake grate.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh... well then it IS a real headscratcher. I would think you'd have to hit an object pretty darn hard to cause it to smoke in a way that you can't locate it :eek:

The only other thing I can think of is an impact hard enough to seperate one of the seals on the crankcase, that is, since you've checked the exhaust. You said you tore the exhaust apart, but was that all the way to the manifold? Seems that's kind of a weak spot on most any machine when it gets jarred. If I'm thinkin correctly, on that seadoo doesn't the exhaust pass underneath the carbs and intake? It would be awfully difficult to see a leak while your vision is blocked by all the intake stuff.

If exhaust isn't it, I would start a leak-down test to see if a seal is broken on the crankcase or maybe the crankcase has a crack in it now :mad:

Sorry, but that's all I can think of right now... curious to know when you know...

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya I tore the exhaust all the way down, took the carbs off, pulled the drive shaft, the whole bit. I figure now I just as soon pull the whole motor so I can get a good look at it. I'll let you know what I find, there is always the chance I still managed to miss something, even though I have checked, double-checked, and then checked again.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Holy crap - and just for a little smoke rearin its face! Well, what can I say - I'd do the same the perfectionist that I am :)

At least you don't have to crack into the crankcase which I have two GPs to do in the next few weeks - a 760 and a 1200. So, i'll be thinkin about your leak search while torqueing bolts :D