Cleaning fuel system

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is a copy and paste, original poster was Steach from http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?27314-DIY-Fuel-System-Cleaning. I just found it very informative and thought I'd spread his good thinking.

If you have an older Seadoo with grey Tempo fuel lines (pre 2001) they need to be changed!

The primary symptom is the ski runs fine on the trailer but bogs when it?s under load.

You don't need the manual for this but it takes a while. Check the Mikuni site for explodes & rebuild info. http://www.mikuni.com/fs-carburetor.html

To replace SeaDoo Tempo fuel lines.

You will need:
20' of Gates Non Fuel Injection 1/4" fuel line(for a 951 you need 5? of ?? and 15? of 3/8?) (NAPA)
choke/carb cleaner
25 stainless screw clamps or a bag of Thomas & Betts Premium Ties (zip ties w/ SS inserts) (NOT at HomeDep anymore)

Note: SD uses Oetker clamps. To remove them just pry under them a little and yank the line off.

There are small fuel filters in each carburetor.
Remove the carbs. The filters are on the fuel-pump side of the carbs. The one on the PTO carb will be more clogged (the harder one to get to). -If you just clean the filters without replacing the fuel line it will only last few tanks before clogging again.

Take the fuel lines off one at a time; measure and cut new line, replace using stainless screw clamps or zip ties (especially the inter-carb lines as I?ve had a screw clamp interfere with the throttle linkage if aligned wrong). Work your way back to the fuel selector but don?t attach yet. Clean and lube the fuel selector valve until it flows fully in each position. Attach lines.

Most likely this crud in everywhere. I suggest emptying, & removing the gas tank for cleaning. If the fuel sender is not working there are probably parts sloshing around in the tank.

Be sure to clean the carb bolts and apply synthetic grease to the shaft and threads when reinstalling.

Dryon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Cleaning fuel system

Would not suggest using zip ties because this is a closed fuel system & it operates under pressure. In fact you must do a pressure test of the fuel system if you break any of the lines loose for any reason. Carb should also be completely rebuilt. There is more to it then what's stated here. Gas fumes are deadly if there is a leak in an enclosed compartment. A little bit of knowledge can get you hurt so get a manual & be safe when working on a boat/SeaDoo fuel system. You need to know what you're doing & the reasons why.