115 TurboJet ***** NEED HELP*****

Jacob.Williams

Recruit
Hey guys, I am new to this forum due to the fact that I have inherited a problem boat from a friend. It is a 1994 Seaswirl Squirt with the 115 HP crossflow. Of course it has the TurboJet drive on the back. Long story short..... I have accomplished getting the engine running and I put it on the water...... WOT, boat moved 5 mph MAYBE. I have spoken with Lisa at TurboJetMarine and I have found that my clearances are fine on my impeller, guide pins are tight etc etc etc. I checked my exhaust hoses and they are extremely spongy which Lisa said that would cause the boat not to move......... If some one could please explain to me how this is, not that I dont believe her, but if the exhaust is not flowing as it should, I would think it would cause back pressure on the cylinder and ultimately effect the engine RPM. I am all ears.
Also, she told me to locate the sacrificial anode on the hull of the boat and ensure that it was still there and intact........ She said its connected to one of the plates around the suction side of the jet drive. Unless the sacrificial anode IS one of the plates, I cant find it.

Any information at this point would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 115 TurboJet ***** NEED HELP*****

From what I know about exhaust hoses, they are a little spongy but barely. I tend to agree with you in the same manner too. But if they are extremely spongy, I would replace them anyway. They should be rigid enough to withstand some force of pushing on them without collapsing.

My guess would be that if they are so spongy that when you throttle up, and the hoses expand to a considerable larger diameter, then the resonance and back pressure from that alone will rob all the power you are feeding the motor.

To explain, pressure waves from the exhaust head to the tip of the exhaust outlet have to be tuned in near perfect proportion for the combustion in the cylinders to produce horsepower effectively. If there is enough variance in the tuning or "expansion" of the hoses, it will throw off this tuned property that makes all the horsepower happen.

This is a design that happens on all combusion engines for them to operate correctly. I know the new ones can be spendy, but may be worth a grin on your face when all done :D

As far as the anode, you might want to consult a shop manual to find the location of that anode.

tmfeaster

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can you elaborate more on the spongey? I would get a service manual, they are great!!!

If the exhaust is blocked I can see that being a huge issue with compression, have you checked compression on each of your cylinders? I would also do that to ensure your head gaskets are not blown.

In regards to the anode, it is on the plate underneath the jet pump above the trim plates. This will help you find it:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/TurboJet/1997/115TJEUC/JET PUMP/parts.html

It is usually white, long and rectanuglar, maybe 1"x1"x6"

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with you tmfeaster - all the way on shop manuals :)

Jacob.Williams

Recruit

I spoke with Lisa a Turbojet and I replaced the exhaust. The engine has always ran strong but the boat just would not move. I am putting it on the lake tomorrow and trying it out.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I spoke with Lisa a Turbojet and I replaced the exhaust. The engine has always ran strong but the boat just would not move. I am putting it on the lake tomorrow and trying it out.

Well Jacob - How did she do?