97 Yam GP760 Fuel Warning light, fuel level, & beeper

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
No matter if the fuel tank is full or not I get the red warning light, beeper, and the fuel level shows low. Do I check the sender first? If so, how do I do that, with an ohmeter?

I'm thinking the sender is bad since it will do it on a full tank. My guess is that the tank was left over winter with just a little fuel in it and the condensation rusted this inner workings of the sender and now it is stuck in one spot???

Any way to fix them or do I have to replace it if it's bad?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 97 Yam GP760 Fuel Warning light, fuel level, & beeper

Usually the sender is the problem. You can check it with a meter. Full tank should show 0-8 ohms, empty should read 757-803. I think you can take apart the harness going to the meter assembly and short the wires and you should get either a full or empty reading on the gauge.........this will help rule out the meter assembly if you see a change here.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Ernest T! I will do that and see what results I get and will let ya know. I'm just trying to keep from throwing my money at things that don't need replacing.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Also check to see that the sender still has the float attached. My RXP (brand new) was doing that after 1 hour on it. Took to back (warranty work!) and they found the float had popped off. Simple fix, no new parts.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Checked the ohms reading on the wires going to the fuel sender. It read .641 ohms. I thought maybe I had the wires backwards, so I checked the other way too. It read OL or overload. I believe that the sender is my problem here. After I can remove it, I'll see just what the problem is. Whether it's a stuck float or one that has popped off, or just a bad sender ofr some other reason.

I think I can unstrap the tank and pull it toward the motor far enough to slip the sending unit out of the top of the tank. I hope I don't have to dismantle the motor in order to get enough room for the tank to come backwards. Has anyone done this before?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I can unstrap the tank and pull it toward the motor far enough to slip the sending unit out of the top of the tank. I hope I don't have to dismantle the motor in order to get enough room for the tank to come backwards. Has anyone done this before?

That is the way to do it on most Yamaha's, but I've never tried it on the 760.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

At the beginning of last summer, my '97 GP1200 was doing the same thing with a full tank of gas. Like your overpriced Yami check valves, my GP's sender was going to set me back $330 for a new one :mad: . I frequent www.greenhulk.net and I was able to get a working, used sender for about $35 shipped from one of the members. I spoke with him on the phone and I was very comfortable making the purchase.

The removal and installation was a real pain. I had to loosen the straps holding the tank down so that I could tilt it and get the long fuel sender to come out of the top of the tank. Once it was all back together, it all worked fine and I've been happy since :D .

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks to both you guys for your feedback and sharing your experience with me. It's good to know we have shortcuts in this industry to keep from paying out those $100/hr shop rates :D

BTW dannyual767 - I ordered the Nylon valves with fluoroelastomer check mechanism for the Yam. I'll let you know how all that works out :)

I also have another fuel sender on the way. Hopefully it'll be done for the upcoming weekend. Tenkiller Lake, here I come!!!

Peace -

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks to both you guys for your feedback and sharing your experience with me. It's good to know we have shortcuts in this industry to keep from paying out those $100/hr shop rates :D

BTW dannyual767 - I ordered the Nylon valves with fluoroelastomer check mechanism for the Yam. I'll let you know how all that works out :)

I also have another fuel sender on the way. Hopefully it'll be done for the upcoming weekend. Tenkiller Lake, here I come!!!

Peace -

Perfect! Let me know how they work out and if they're good, I'll add them to my next order.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey dannyual767, those check valves worked great along with the clamps :) Thanks for that little bit of help which turned into a steak dinner for two :D Tenkiller was awesome for my wife and her GTX but for me, it was another WTF! I just posted my next headscratcher on this Yamaha. Please tell me what you think since you've owned one ;)