GTX Limited...Lord let the problems end.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Back to the drawing board:facepalm:

Alright gentlemen, I have a 98 and 99 gtx limited. 99' runs like a beast, except, when you first go to give it throttle (I'm talking only on the lake) it bogs and will even die occasionally. However, if you flip the choke lever quickly, while giving it very little gas, it solves the problem until the next time you sit at idle for an extended amount of time...hmm. I have cleaned the carb but I didn't rebuild it yet.

The 98' is a whole different *****. This one was sand barred and the lady ran it trying to get back all plugged up. To my knowledge it damn near sank due to the hole she burned in the resonator trying to start it plugged. Since this incident, I've replaced the resonator although the one they gave me is smaller it seems than the one I took out, I guess the part has been superseded. I rebuilt the carbs, and replace the regulatory valve that sits on the muffler which had also melted. I cleared the bottom line (packed with sand) that runs to the bottom of the motor and also mildly flushed water through it to get the rest of the sand out. It runs now....just not great. By the way also when I got it the coil box was full of water, I thought that was cute. At the moment it seems as though it's starving for gas but it will run and once up to "top speed" about 38-42 mph says the gauge, it runs allot cleaner. It does however die at every chance it can get including just before I hit the trailer...that was fun.

I went to pull it out of the water running and couldn't get it to start again, but immediately when I was all the way out of the water (on the trailer at the dock) it fired right up. I had the idle set up to approx 1200 but up that high the "no wake" speed is more like hauling ***. My guess is that I have the mixtures on both machines all tinkerbelled, but lord knows at this point.

SOrry to make you read the epistle of these wave runners but the history is dense.

Cheers...you guys all kick *** for real.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: GTX Limited...Lord let the problems end.

PS I said 1200 RPM and what I mean by that is in the water. On the trailer it goes up much higher.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Rebuild the carbs on the first GTX. Mine did the exact same thing and you would not believe the crap that was in the carbs. Runs great until a lengthy idle, then falls on it's face? Mess with the throttle and eventually work thru the problems and runs great again? Rebuild the carbs. This also means soaking them for 24 hours in carb cleaner, so buy a gallon of the stuff with the built in basket/strainer.

The other one sounds like it's going to need a rebuild (engine-wise) as it was probably overheated during that incident. Scored cylinder walls, I'm sure. Replace the power valves on the exhaust if that's what melted. As far as the idle, it should idle at 1300-1500 in the water and close to 3000 out of the water. It fired right up on the trailer because it didn't have the resistance that the water provides.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rebuild the carbs on the first GTX. Mine did the exact same thing and you would not believe the crap that was in the carbs. Runs great until a lengthy idle, then falls on it's face? Mess with the throttle and eventually work thru the problems and runs great again? Rebuild the carbs. This also means soaking them for 24 hours in carb cleaner, so buy a gallon of the stuff with the built in basket/strainer.

The other one sounds like it's going to need a rebuild (engine-wise) as it was probably overheated during that incident. Scored cylinder walls, I'm sure. Replace the power valves on the exhaust if that's what melted. As far as the idle, it should idle at 1300-1500 in the water and close to 3000 out of the water. It fired right up on the trailer because it didn't have the resistance that the water provides.

I did have the throttle turned way too low I know that from reading the other threads. I hope it's not a rebuild but I'm near ignorant not to agree. The compression: #1 = 107, #2 = 112. I'll have to recheck the manual to see if that's acceptable or not.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I did have the throttle turned way too low I know that from reading the other threads. I hope it's not a rebuild but I'm near ignorant not to agree. The compression: #1 = 107, #2 = 112. I'll have to recheck the manual to see if that's acceptable or not.

They should be within 10% of each other, but mine were always up around 140-150.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've heard that different compression gauges will give different readings. I've only got one and I've had it for a long, long time so I've got nothing to compare it against.

Consistent readings within 10% of each other is what I've been told to look for. I frequent a couple of PWC specific forums and others talk of readings near what Leedanger posted. As long as all cylinders are reading within 10% of each other, its okay. In fact, both of my skis have similar compression readings with my gauge and the skis run like champs. I've reached 54.7 mph on gps with my 94 Raider. The GP is even faster but I'm never on it to get a gps reading.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've heard that different compression gauges will give different readings. I've only got one and I've had it for a long, long time so I've got nothing to compare it against.

Consistent readings within 10% of each other is what I've been told to look for. I frequent a couple of PWC specific forums and others talk of readings near what Leedanger posted. As long as all cylinders are reading within 10% of each other, its okay. In fact, both of my skis have similar compression readings with my gauge and the skis run like champs. I've reached 54.7 mph on gps with my 94 Raider. The GP is even faster but I'm never on it to get a gps reading.

Reassuring to know....my gauge is kind of a piece so I wouldn't be surprised if it was off, but it is consistant. It's just the Harbor Freight special. Thanks