help identifying a force 120 power heads year

raptorzx7r

Cadet
hi all
i bought a sea pro renegade jet boat, i was directed here to the PWC section once i placed a post on the force section,,,,perhaps some one can help?

what i bought was basically alot like the seadoo sportster in appearance. however it originally was powered by a force90. or perhaps a mercury sportjet 90. i was told it was a 90hp, and i found a carb cover way up in the hull not on the engine that says mercury sportjet on it. the deal is.....

the boat is a 1994
the 90hp was pulled and replaced by a 120 4 cylinder engine of an unknown year..
it took a while but in checking out new parts on micros on iboat and boats net the only models i can find that have coils such as mine are the 1996 and up force120 powerheads..
my concern would be in knowing what will and wont fit back in and attach to the lower unit and propulsion.
what can interchange?
since all the wiring had been changed out id like to keep to a 120hp. am i limited to a 1996 only...what years? if i replace the entire unit,,,,or if i locate a block and crank short block etc. i suspect there must be a way to nail down the year? obviously any transom or boat tag wont work due to the engine change. the engine is still in the boat and any inked tinfoil tag i can not even begin to read.
i have located a few casting numbers, on the exhaust manifold, the lower adapter plate, and a few on the carbs.

i am so hoping whatever was changed was kept in the 1994 configuration as far as the propulsion drive is concerned and not some monkey working done. the guy i got it from says, it was a friend of his he got it from. but he had it done at a shop somewhere. the guy i got it from also says he ran it once, for a few hours, and it went like a raped ape, instant go as he put it, but after a few hrs it tossed a rod with no warning,,,,possibly too high rpm due to some miss matching between powerhead and lower? he says he was doing alot of skimming as he was going fast, so i just thought maybe he over revved.

any help in nailing this down is appreciated, and anyone that may have either a running powerhead or a used rebuildable or parts i can use that would fit id like to hear from

again
thanks