94 seadoo bombardier will start out water but not in water!

elivazquez

Cadet
Need some info on my 94 Bombardier. We have cleaned the carb and it starts awesome outside the water but once we take it to the water it will start at beginning and then shuts off and wont start no more. Please help

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 94 seadoo bombardier will start out water but not in water!

Make sure that your RPMs are set high enough out of the water to ensure that it will stay running while in the water. Typically, most need to run around 2700 to 3000 RPM on the trailer. It's also a very good investment getting a shop manual.

There could be several reasons for experiencing what your seadoo is doing. However, the above reason is one of the easiest to fix, so let's start there. Also, is this your first PWC?

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK. Not familier with the 94 and if it has a visual Tach. If it does, then when you run it on the trailer, you should see where it is idleing. Should be around 3000 RPM.

Be sure to use a flush attachment hose to supply water to the motor while off the lake or you will blow up your motor!

Now if it is lower, which is what I suspect, then look for the idle set screw. Should be at the front or magneto side carb and usually has a "T" type bar thru the top of it so you can turn it with your fingers.

If the idle is good, then it could be a low speed mixture screw setting that is too lean.

Let me know what you find out.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Should be around 3000 RPM..

I know this sounds high, but it is necessary for when the craft is in the water. It then will idle around 1200-1500 RPM from the resistance of the water.

oldjeep

Admiral

Do a compression check.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Absolutely - oldjeep is right on with that.

elivazquez

Cadet

I will do the compression test and let you all know with the results

elivazquez

Cadet

I check the compression and its reading 2900

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

2900??? I was expecting a reading more like 150 PSI or close. What gauge were you reading this 2900 from?

oldjeep

Admiral

I check the compression and its reading 2900

??? 2900 what? And does your engine only have 1 cylinder? You need to check the compression in each cylinder.

davebig87

Recruit

hi guys im new here and i dont know how to post my own question but i have the exact same probleme you have but it wont always start outside water. The compression is 132 for both cylinders. sparks are good and i rebuilded de carb. usually when i remove the spark plugs , run the starter and replace the pugs it will immidiatly start well. i can aply throttle outside water and it will raise rpm but when i put it in water the seadoo dies. the engine is supost to be rebuilded and the premix is not too rich. around 1/100.Most of the time it just wont start. i hpe my prbleme is similar to frozenokie. hope you will help me

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

hi guys im new here and i dont know how to post my own question but i have the exact same probleme you have but it wont always start outside water. The compression is 132 for both cylinders. sparks are good and i rebuilded de carb. usually when i remove the spark plugs , run the starter and replace the pugs it will immidiatly start well. i can aply throttle outside water and it will raise rpm but when i put it in water the seadoo dies. the engine is supost to be rebuilded and the premix is not too rich. around 1/100.Most of the time it just wont start. i hpe my prbleme is similar to frozenokie. hope you will help me

What's alarming to me is the fuel to oil muixture ratio you say you are using. 100:1 is way too lean. Should be at least 50:1 or for a fresh rebuild that has not been broke in yet, it should be 25:1. Don't run it anymore until you get this mixture correct or you risk needing another rebuild.

That alone could be your whole problem. So if it were mine, I would empty out the gas tank and mix 56 fl. oz. of oil to 10 gallons of gas. Best if you use 91 octane with NO ethanol.

davebig87

Recruit

well i thought the mix was too rich and that it was the probleme so i full it with pure gas(the tank was half and mixed was 1/50). the mix is not the probleme so ill just ajust the oil concentration. any idea what could be the dying probleme?

elivazquez

Cadet

It may sound dumb but like I said before this is my 1st jet ski. I put straight gas on it. How could I fix this?

oldjeep

Admiral

Dumb question, but does a 94 2 stroke actually require you to mix oil with the gas - they're not oil injected?

elivazquez

Cadet

dont know how could I tell. It has an Oil tank as well.

slag

Chief Petty Officer

Put straight gas in the fuel tank, seadoo 2 stroke oil in the oil tank. Seadoo oil is lower ash content than most watercraft 2 stroke oil.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont know how could I tell. It has an Oil tank as well.
I agree...it should be oil injected. No need to pre mix your fuel unless it's not working properly in which case you would need to block off the oiler with a kit...as for it dying....If you haven't cleaned the carbs it's a must, get a manual. Also check all of your lines to see if there is sand or whatnot in any of them.

NESAR

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dumb question, but does a 94 2 stroke actually require you to mix oil with the gas - they're not oil injected?

It should be oil injected unless they took it out. There should be a tank for oil on right side if your siting on the ski. remove the seat and look under the bow you should see both tanks.