89 sea doo two seater vibration problem

pghwrench

Cadet
got this ski for free was told it was a good runner just old looks super well taken care of and started right up. anyway the problem I am experiencing is a rattle/ vibration at idle sounds mechanical but cant find anything loose visually. impeller has a few tiny dings but looks good otherwise. any suggestions and how many hp/cc is it cant find it anywhere on ski

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 89 sea doo two seater vibration problem

yellow engine, right?

Its 587 cubic centimeters. Does it vibrate in the water or just out of the water? It could be that someone has removed the rubber bumpers from the driveshaft. Other causes could be broken motor mount or broken exhaust pipe bolt/bracket. Hard to say without seeing a video.

pghwrench

Cadet

both in and out only at idle though like somethings boucing around. but goes away when throttle applied

slag

Chief Petty Officer

check and see if its the exhaust pipe hitting the side of the engine compartment.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

check and see if its the exhaust pipe hitting the side of the engine compartment.

I have a 98 and 99 GTX limited that both do the same thing on the trailer. Sounds like it's coming almost straight from the impeller though. Personally I've never been concerned about it but I guess maybe I should be.

NESAR

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First thing I would do is grease the drive shaft. Open the engine compartment there are 2 wing nut screws under that is the drive shaft pump 2 full squirts in you should see the drive shaft move back ad you pump each one. only do 2 pumps. if you don't see it go back check for a crack in the boot.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found my noise. It is that metal directional coupler that comes straight off of the jet pump, sorry not sure what the term for it is. Anyways....there was at one point a spacer with a lock washer, which turned at some point into just a lock washer. Replaced spacer, lots quieter.

NESAR

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found my noise. It is that metal directional coupler that comes straight off of the jet pump, sorry not sure what the term for it is. Anyways....there was at one point a spacer with a lock washer, which turned at some point into just a lock washer. Replaced spacer, lots quieter.

So it should run better now;-)