low smoke 2-stroke oil for rotax engines?

jprice

Seaman
I apologize up front if I'm starting another oil debate. I've been searching the internet, and various forums, and honestly, my head is spinning.

My 96 speedster smokes like a crop-duster on startup, and smokes like that for several minutes, until it's warmed up.
I've heard of various "low smoke" oils out there, and wanted to try one, but I'm having trouble finding one that would qualify.
There's one from Amsol that's got TC-W3 and API TC... wtf? I thought those were mutually exclusive. Everything I've read says DO NOT use TC-W3, use API TC rated oils in your rotax engine.

I'm not looking for a cheap solution. I don't mind spending top dollar if it's going to protect my engines AND produce less smoke.
So does anyone out there use, or have experience with a low-smoke API TC oil for rotax engines?
Thanks.

sdride

Seaman
Re: low smoke 2-stroke oil for rotax engines?

oil debates are always fun so i will not get into one. Any Seadoo motor with a RAVE valve system will need a low ash oil (API-TC). When it burns it leaves less crap on the RAVE valves. It will not smoke any less than a TC-TW3 oil. Are you running premix or still using the stock setup?

When you say it smokes is that in the water or when you start it on land?

Also the Amsol oil is great stuff and Quicksilver has a synthetic API-TC oil thats in a black jusg that's good too.

oldjeep

Admiral

Bombardier makes low smoke oil for rotax, its their synthetic 2 stroke oil - comes in sled and PWC varieties. We run it in our Skidoos (700 rotax)

jprice

Seaman

When you say it smokes is that in the water or when you start it on land?
Both. The first few minutes after startup. Doesn't matter where.

Bombardier makes low smoke oil for rotax, its their synthetic 2 stroke oil - comes in sled and PWC varieties. We run it in our Skidoos (700 rotax)
Thanks.
After a bunch of googling, I've found a few people confirm the same thing. Basically the synthetic will smoke less (and lube better as well).
For almost twice the cost! :(
oh well, if it works, it's worth it.

oldjeep

Admiral

Cheapest way to buy it is to bring in your own container to the dealer (seadoo/skidoo) and have them sell it to you by the gallon from their 55 gal barrel - takes a few bucks per gallon off the price. Not sure if all dealers do that, but in snowmobile country its pretty common.