94 Bayliner Jazz Jet boat

Joekerrs

Cadet
I bought a 1994 bayliner Jazz jetboat. It started fine when i bought it but then i never used it and it sat in my barn for a year. I tried starting this past spring and nothing. I replaced the solenoid and stator and it starts and runs fine....out of water. Once i put in the water it takes forever to start and once it does its only for a little bit and then slowly dies. It will start back up no problem once i take it back out of the water. I know absolutely nothing abou these boats, this is my first one, so here are some other things i experienced if this helps. Water slowly fills up the boat, back and mid section but the bilge pump is out of service so maybe this is normal. I just wasn't sure if this much water was normal or not. Also, it smokes quite a bit when it did start for a second in water both out the back and by the motor under the back hood. Maybe just because it hasn't ran in a while or too much starting fluid sprayed in it? Again, im not sure, I'm a newbie when it comes to these boats. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Joe

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 94 Bayliner Jazz Jet boat

94 should have the 'Push to Choke' on the key switch. That may help when trying to start cold.

**Don't start this out of the water!!**

First thing I would check is fuel flow. Pull the fuel line off where it enters the carbs from the the fuel pump. Place the end of the hose in a can or jar and have someone crank the engine. The fuel should have a steady flow. If it pulses, you'll need to replace the diagphrahm in the fuel pump (easy job).

Keep us updated on what you find.

jprice

Seaman
Re: 94 Bayliner Jazz Jet boat

Water slowly fills up the boat, back and mid section but the bilge pump is out of service so maybe this is normal.

I'm no expert boater either, but this doesn't sound good. Is it filling to the point that the engine compartment is getting flooded?
Are you sure that the drain plug is tightly sealed?