1994 Sport Jet 90 middle piston failure

James Poremba

Recruit
Hello, this forum has been of excellent help in regards to solving the small problems I've had with my Sport Jet 90. It's a 1994 model in a Sea Rayder boat.

However, recently, the middle piston has been damaged. I noticed some rough sounds coming from the engine after a great day of boating. The boat would also die at WOT and on turns at high speed. I figured it could be flooding (happened last year too, carbs needed adjustment then ran fine since then) but when we took it our mechanic, he said the middle piston has failed and is broken. Took it home, pulled the engine, opened it up, and sure enough the middle piston is shot (I will post some photos later today). My main concern is why this piston failed....the other two seem to be in good condition. Luckily, from what I can see, we caught it in time so no cracked block and only minor scoring to the cylinder wall.

Could this be an overheating issue in the middle piston? What could cause that? Oil/fuel pooled at all three cylinders once I removed the covers, but the middle looked much darker, I figured it was just because the damage mixed with the oil/fuel.

What are the most common causes of piston failure? I don't want to go through the expense of buying the parts when it might just happen again. Any help you can provide would be great

Thanks very much

James