1998 GSX LIMITED Very slight bog and not much top end......

seasprite74

Seaman Apprentice
Hello I just purchased a 1998 Seadoo GSX limited. It has 93 hours on it and is very clean. A few problems, it will only do about 55 WOT, and i know it should do more than that. IT seems to run great everywhere else except at idle when you burp the throttle it has a slight bog, then it goes away and runs fine. What bout the rave valves? any ideas on what to do? Also, the spedo does not work(had to have somebody clock me with there brand new ski). The neadle starts to move, but only goes to about 10 mph, and just flutters. the digital one is also inoperative. Thanks in advance!

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1998 GSX LIMITED Very slight bog and not much top end......

My 98 GSXL runs 57, so you aren't far off. Of course my intake grate is missing right now, so I might get a couple more MPH out of it once I put the high performance grate on.
Does your trim work?

Chris

nate_1503

Cadet
Re: 1998 GSX LIMITED Very slight bog and not much top end......

55 is really about 45... ski's are horribly inaccurate on the mph even the new ones... anyway thats about right far as WOT is gonna be, the speedo sensor in that model maybe a little wheel on the back of the hull it probably should be... anyway the slight bog is the accelerator pump on the carb probably or the high end adjustment could be off, the adjustment is on the side of the carb body near the top, takes a very small straight slot screwdriver w/ a wide blade to turn it. but if its only when you gun the throttle its the accelerator pump on the #1 carb, I would have the carbs rebuilt and you should be ready to go. if you take it to a shop ask do they water test the ski's after carb work, if so they can fine tune it correctly. also they will probably put new plugs in it to get an accurate setting on the carbs. the ski needs to be water tested due to the added pressure of the exhaust being submerged, it won't make a huge difference but it can't be dead on w/o it.