sport jet 120 spark plug question

jakeesspoo

Cadet
I hope Im in the right forum for this question. I have a Mecruiser sport jet 120 engine in my Seayrayder. I have been reading about some problems here online and it sounds like a lot of the first generation stators go bad. I do not believe I have any spark but how do I test these plugs. I have never even seen spark plugs that don't have the "ends" on them for the spark to jump to. If I want to test for spark what should I do. What should I let the spark "jump" to. Im sure this sounds like a really dumb question but I'm not sure what to do here. I have a pretty good basic understanding of engines but no experience with this type of spark plug...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: sport jet 120 spark plug question

I hope Im in the right forum for this question. I have a Mecruiser sport jet 120 engine in my Seayrayder. I have been reading about some problems here online and it sounds like a lot of the first generation stators go bad. I do not believe I have any spark but how do I test these plugs. I have never even seen spark plugs that don't have the "ends" on them for the spark to jump to. If I want to test for spark what should I do. What should I let the spark "jump" to. Im sure this sounds like a really dumb question but I'm not sure what to do here. I have a pretty good basic understanding of engines but no experience with this type of spark plug...

Ayuh,... I'm guessin' yer lookin' at surface gap sparkplugs,..??

If so, the spark jumps from the center, sideways, to the outer housing of the plug...

jakeesspoo

Cadet
Re: sport jet 120 spark plug question

Thanks for the reply... yes they are surface gap plugs. It makes sense to me know how the spark reacts.