Converting to pre-mix on 175 SJ

2k6750

Cadet
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good thread on how to get rid of the oil injection on a 175 SportJet? Any help is greatly appreciated. I took the boat out for the first time today and was paranoid the whole time about the oil pump. Got it home and it doesnt want to stay running, and didnt seem to be smoking as much as it did when I first took it out. It might not be getting fuel since it's sitting high in the rear, and I'm not sure how much fuel is actually left. I mixed about 1/2 a quart in with $40 worth of gas just to be safe, but want to get rid of the injection. Can anyone point me in the right driection of a good how-to thread? I'd like to disable the low oil warning so I could take both oil reservoirs out of the engine bay.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Converting to pre-mix on 175 SJ

http://www.atlanticjetsport.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=87

You didn't give any specifics about your boat. Get the correct year kit and they come with detailed instructions. Very simple.

When it comes to the low oil warning, look for the two wires that go to the top of the oil container (might be blue and blue/white). Simply cut them, strip them back a bit, and join them together with a butt connector and heat shrink.

2k6750

Cadet
Re: Converting to pre-mix on 175 SJ

The boat is a '98 Regal Rush Xr2 with the 175 in it. Thanks for the info. I'm told Mercury dealers should have a "dummy shaft" to replace the oil pump shaft and then I need a cover to go over the hole that is left open. I haven't actually seen the components of this yet, so I'm not real sure on what exactly I'm looking for. I was also told i could take apart the gear and shaft somehow and just use that as the "dummy" so I didnt have to buy anything and have a plug made for the hole. A local tech at a marina told me there should be a purple wire to cut and tape off so I had no low oil warning, but still had the overheat alarm. Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I jump into this job. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks again fireman!