Yamaha FX140 Milky Oil

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice
Was helping my Dad get the skis ready to go out. Didn't know what I know now from reading around. We were having trouble getting one started, and had the water running in the hose connection for a good 1/2 HR to 45 Min without the motor running. We finally figured out what was wrong with it (starting wise) and it fired up. Ran fine, for about 5 min. shut it off. Checked the oil (another story... filled it before letting motor warm up) and it was overfull and milky.

I think I overfilled it, because I added before starting it up and letting it warm (as I have read now you should do :facepalm: ) and also that since the hose was running while the motor was off, the exhaust was obviously not pushing the water out, so it got up into one of the cylinders possibly, and then into the motor oil.

From what I have read, I will need to remove the spark plugs, suction out as much oil as I can (around 1/2) then turn the motor over a few times, try to get more oil / water out... keep going. Check down in the cylinders and see if there is any more water etc.

Then fill (not as much as taken out) I was about a quart high after it ran 5 min so thinking a quart & 1/2 less then I remove at first to be safe. Run... Probably repeat the removing oil / water and replace with clean steps again, until it's no longer milky.

Is this all sounding correct?

Please help. I feel like &^%* because this is my Dad's Ski.

Thanks,
~ JR

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Yamaha FX140 Milky Oil

I should mention... This is a 2002 Yamaha FX140... Sorry about that. :facepalm:

~ JR

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha FX140 Milky Oil

Yea running water without the engine running isn't good. I'd extract as much oil as possible and change the filter. I'd expect any water in the cylinders would be pushed thru the exhaust if you turn it over. You may have fouled the plugs though. I think another issue may be you fouled the air cleaner which typically happens with an over filled oil condition. These engines should be filled to the 1/2 full mark not the full line. May take a few oil changes to get it all out.