98' SeaDoo Gtx limited with hole in resonator (muffler)

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi there, I have a 98' SeaDoo GTX Limited that has a hole the size of a half dollar on I believe what is called the resonator. If I start to back the machine in the water it starts to sink very quickly. Is there a guide or can someone help me find a good source on how to fix this problem? Can it be water welded?

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 98' SeaDoo Gtx limited with hole in resonator (muffler)

I had a hole in my expansion chamber on my 97 GTX. I used marine JB weld and it worked perfectly :) But it wasn't below water level like your problem. I'm thinking the resonator is the part that actually looks like a muffler? And for the size of hole, that's a tougher fix. Mine was the size of a pencil - much easier to patch.

Howerver, if it were mine, I would get an aluminum threaded plug from the hardware store. The kind of plug that would be used in electrical junction boxes or outdoor light fixtures. You might find one that diameter. If you do find one, then make sure the resonator is completely dry and make sure that there is no rust or grime around the hole since you won't be able to get the weld to adhere to that stuff, then thread the plug into the hole, then use marine JB weld all around it and don't be shy to "glob" it on. Place some duct tape completely over the fixed area so that it holds the JB weld in place and from dripping off your new patch. Position the resonator, with the hole on the bottom to dry, and without letting the patch area touch anything. Let it cure for 24 hours. Then give it a water test by plugging one end with your hand and filling it up with water. If it doesn't leak, then it's worth a try on the lake. Good luck!

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh yeah... Don't forget to remove the duct tape after the curing of the weld!!!

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

The resonator is like a secondary muffler, not the actual muffler itself. It is a plastic part the reverbs sound waves back and forth before exiting the machine. I believe they didn't start putting them on until 98' or newer. This is the part I'd like to bypass.

rking

Cadet

I have exactly the same problem on my 98 GTX LTD. The part is molded plastic and I would be very reluctant to repair it even if you could. If it were to fail at some point on the lake you will start to take on water. :eek: Also, once you get it repaired you may want to investigate what caused it to fail (i.e. water interruption, overheating, etc.).

I removed mine although it was somewhat tricky. You will need to remove the seat support base to clear out the opening in the hull. Of course remove all the hoses connected to the resonator. Remove the air intake silencer. Gentle pull the foam packing out from underneath the resonator. Take you time and alternate both ends so it doesn't break apart. It will eventually pull right out. Once out the resonator will be free and you can remove it. Now here comes the hard part. Removing it from the boat. The part is long and hits just about everything on that side of the boat. Working from the opposite side of the boat I got mine out by sliding it forward and lifting up on the hose port end of the resonator. As you do this it will hit the carburator and exhaust manifold support bracket so to remove it you will need to deflect it slightly to clear these items. I just pushed on mine till it deflected enough while I pulled and lifted on the hose ports end of the resonator. Once the hose ports clear the hull the part will come right out. Note: Watch your choke cable. You may want to move it out of the way so the resonator doesn't get caught on it. Sounds like alot but it really wasn't that bad. Took about 45 minutes.

Good luck

nate_1503

Cadet

if you burnt a hole in it, you probably have a bad reed valve, its the red and black thing on the muffler it self, pull the 2 water lines off and screw it, pull it apart carfully as it is spring loaded if the rubber membrane is torn replace it and put it back together, if not torn or messed up clean it put it back together and in then go to the resonator issue, if you have a bad reed valve it will overhead the plastic as its not diverting water to it for cooling.

rking

Cadet

Thanks nate_1503. In my case I have isolated the problem to be reversed lines at the pressure regulator on the water muffler. I guess that is the Reed valve you mentioned. Not sure how that happened but it was leaking through the weep hole. I took the reguator apart and everything looked okay. I reversed the lines and everything appears to working properly now. If you have ever disconnected these lines you may want to make sure they are connected correctly. The problem now is finding the resonator as it has been discountinued by Seadoo and nobody seems to have one. I would love to know if there is a viable repair.

Thanks to all.

nate_1503

Cadet

I may be able to locate a used one if your interested? i will have to look through junk ski's when I got back to the shop on wed. and yeah thats the reed valve, they are normally 2 different sized lines running to it, but people replace stuff a lot and this is what you end up with, good luck

rking

Cadet

Thanks nate_1503. I found a used on the web and bought it. Waiting for it to arrive. If it doesn't work out I'll let you know.

Sorry Leedanger...I didn't mean to hijack your thread here. Just trying to offer my help if needed.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I may be able to locate a used one if your interested? i will have to look through junk ski's when I got back to the shop on wed. and yeah thats the reed valve, they are normally 2 different sized lines running to it, but people replace stuff a lot and this is what you end up with, good luck

I was out of town so sorry for the slow reply. Damn I wish I would have been able to get ahold of you a few weeks ago, ordered one off of ebay....thanks a bundle though. The resonator absolutely had a hole in it, about the size of a half dollar. They belong to a couple of old ladies that have been screwed by a few mechanics now so I am doing them a favor. The beached this one then continued to try to run it clogged and almost sank it after the hole was created. Another guy "replaced the intake" but I don't know what has and has not REALLY been done. Any other suggestions about what else to look for other than the reed valve?

THANKS

nate_1503

Cadet

If it was beached and still run, then there is no telling... the engine was probably overheated due to no cooling water for a period, i would attempt to flush the cooling system very well, pull the hoses and make sure they aren't full of sand/shells. if they had the intake full of sand they probably chewed up some of the wear ring but that will just hurt performance some... hmmm anything that water is pulled and pushed threw needs to be cleaned and flushed properly, it almost sounds like to me that they beached it clogged a cooling line and melted the resonator due to overheating of the exhaust, pull those hoses for the exhaust and check them, i almost bet one is full of sand and check the Rave valve not reed valve... lol sorry late night alcohol induced typing caused that one i'm guessing...

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it was beached and still run, then there is no telling... the engine was probably overheated due to no cooling water for a period, i would attempt to flush the cooling system very well, pull the hoses and make sure they aren't full of sand/shells. if they had the intake full of sand they probably chewed up some of the wear ring but that will just hurt performance some... hmmm anything that water is pulled and pushed threw needs to be cleaned and flushed properly, it almost sounds like to me that they beached it clogged a cooling line and melted the resonator due to overheating of the exhaust, pull those hoses for the exhaust and check them, i almost bet one is full of sand and check the Rave valve not reed valve... lol sorry late night alcohol induced typing caused that one i'm guessing...

Cool...glad you corrected that...I was searching for a "reed valve", I feel sheepish now :) We are all just learning at some point though right? What I worry the most about is the prior "mechanic". He said he "fixed" all of this and they paid him a fortune, but who knows what all was done. Your speculation is spot on though, as far as what and how everything went down. At the moment I have the resonator just bypassed until the new one shows and I ran it for just a couple minutes on the hose, the bypass hose seemed to stay cool so I hesitantly assume that all is well, just wonder how the other guy missed the huge frickin hole in the resonator. On top of that, this guy installed a bilge pump....yes...a bilge pump. As though that was gonna stop the gallons of water gushing in by the second. Safe to say I guess that home boy didn't do jack ****.

Thanks for your help sir

rking

Cadet

When I saw this thread I got excited because the situation Leedanger has is exactly like mine. I'm trying to help out a friend who encounter what seems to be a water interruption which led to overheating. Upon first sight it was obvious that the exhaust hose had melted. I replaced it and after some basic cleaning and new fuel I got it to crank. Water immediately started filling the boat and it was then I found the hole in the resonator. At first the engine sounded okay although slightly louder than I expected. The valve :))) on the water muffler was leaking through the weep hole and after some research I determined that the hoses must have been switched at some point. I moved them and the leak stopped. Afterwards the engine sounded much better. As is the case with Leedanger the operator almost sank the boat before getting it to the dock. My concern now is considering this information did water enter the engine? I've tried to remove the filler plug but was not able to budge it at all. I understand the best way to tell is to look at the oil but are there any other tell-tell signs? Would the engine run for an extended period of time? Once started I flushed it for about 20 minutes and the engine never hesitated and seem to run great. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I got the resonator in today, it's not identical to the other one but I put it in anyway. I found also that the regulatory valve on the muffler was jacked so I investigated further, only to find sand filled lines all over the place. I think I have them all cleared, including the one that connects underneath the engine. The motor blew a bunch of sand out of that same port once I had the line cleared so I am hoping all is well now. Seems to me this is a common enough problem a sticky should be made for this forum concerning the matter....?

rking: I believe you need to remove the wires and ground the them to the grounding poles, generally located at the coil box. Now take out the plugs and crank the engine over a few times and any water inside the cylinders will shoot out like a teenage load.

rking

Cadet

Thanks Leedanger... loved the analogy. I'll give it a whirl.

I also received the resonator yesterday and installed it. Works great and the boat doesn't fill up with water anymore which is always a good thing. I'll be damn though... the pressure valve started leaking again. Looks like its coming from the threaded stem opposite the water lines. Maybe I don't have the hoses right after all... or the valve is bad.
Thanks to all for the help.

rking

Cadet

Correction.... leaking thru the weep hole. Not a major leak but a small drip. I'm now wondering if this part is bad which cause the whole mess to begin with. Nothing inside the valve appears to be cracked or broken. Does the hole in the needle valve need to line up with the hose inlets?

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Correction.... leaking thru the weep hole. Not a major leak but a small drip. I'm now wondering if this part is bad which cause the whole mess to begin with. Nothing inside the valve appears to be cracked or broken. Does the hole in the needle valve need to line up with the hose inlets?

Not sure, but the chances are that the muffler melted the bottom of that valve when it was sand barred, which I am assuming it was. Replace that regulatory valve, they come factory set to open the low or high side with X amount of pressure...couldn't tell you how to set it but it sounds like you need to replace it anyway. I went to eBay because a new from the manufacturer is $200 < dollars. If I were you I would also check the line that runs to the bottom of the engine (it's generally a clear colored line and runs starboard) chances are it's packed full of sand also.

rking

Cadet

Thanks Leedanger.

Yeah I was hoping that possibly the lines were crossed and that was the problem. I'm also leaning towards a bad part. I really appreciate all the help.