SeaDoo Dead in the Water

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took my 1997 SeaDoo GTI out this morning and now my rough idle issue is the least of my problems.

I ran it for maybe 15 minutes at anywhre from 1/2 to full throttle and it ran great. When I entered the No Wake area of the marina and slowed down it started running extremely rough and I heard a "metal on metal" sound. I shut it down and got it back to my lift on the houseboat by paddling for a little bit.

After lifting it out of the water, I hit the starter and it cranks slow and sounds like a bent rod or slipped rod bearing might be the issue. In other words, "it sounds like heck."

I found a re-manufactured block at http://www.shopsbt.com/sea-1997-gti/P40-105.html
for $995. A few hundred to put it in puts me up at $1,300 plus I have an idle issue which might mean a new carb.

So, if what I susect is true, a rod problem or worse, is it worth buying a re-manufactured block and installing it in a 1997 SeaDoo? The body is in good shape but none of my guages work and my reserve tank doesn't work (like that when I bought it).

Thanks,
texasvet

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: SeaDoo Dead in the Water

A little friendly advice for you. Do some research on SBT before you do business with them. You might be shocked.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

I took my 1997 SeaDoo GTI out this morning and now my rough idle issue is the least of my problems.

I ran it for maybe 15 minutes at anywhre from 1/2 to full throttle and it ran great. When I entered the No Wake area of the marina and slowed down it started running extremely rough and I heard a "metal on metal" sound. I shut it down and got it back to my lift on the houseboat by paddling for a little bit.

After lifting it out of the water, I hit the starter and it cranks slow and sounds like a bent rod or slipped rod bearing might be the issue. In other words, "it sounds like heck."

I found a re-manufactured block at http://www.shopsbt.com/sea-1997-gti/P40-105.html
for $995. A few hundred to put it in puts me up at $1,300 plus I have an idle issue which might mean a new carb.

So, if what I susect is true, a rod problem or worse, is it worth buying a re-manufactured block and installing it in a 1997 SeaDoo? The body is in good shape but none of my guages work and my reserve tank doesn't work (like that when I bought it).

Thanks,
texasvet

A 14 year old seadoo, That needs a carb, with non-functioning gauges, or reserve tank isn't worth $1300 even with a new engine around here at least. I would part it out and use that money towards a newer ski, but thats just me.

RMasters

Seaman

Am just curious, is it a 2-stroke? A buddy of mine had a similar issue which eventually was diagnosed as oil starvation. He always (well, 9 out of 10 times) did the open throttle to idle "thing", I told him that 2-stroke engines do not like that. Well, he paid the price.

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

Am just curious, is it a 2-stroke? A buddy of mine had a similar issue which eventually was diagnosed as oil starvation. He always (well, 9 out of 10 times) did the open throttle to idle "thing", I told him that 2-stroke engines do not like that. Well, he paid the price.

It's a 2-stroke. As far as idling goes, I never drop it from full to idle. I dropped it down to enter the marina fairly slowly as I hate those boaters that think they can go 110mp and then cut their speed just as they hit the "no wake" buoys.

texasvet

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

My son-in-law, who grew up on a SeaDoo, told me that it sounds like water got in the engine when I came to a stop from high RPM. He said that he did that several times to his SeaDoo and they had to take it to the repair shop to get things straighteded out.

This is the first jet ski that I have ever owned so I don't know. Is there any merit to his explanation?

texasvet

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

unless you love that ski, i'd walk away. it can quickly become a money pit unless you know what you are doing. as far as coming off throttle too fast, i've never heard of that. 2 or 4 stroke. sell it as is and start looking for another ski.

sdride

Seaman

If everything else on the ski was in great shape and you planned on keeping it for a long time fix it. if not part it out. For what it will cost to put into the ski you could by another of the same age and run that into the ground.

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to take it in to the repair shop today and see what they say.

texasvet