94 Sea Rayder F14 90hp Sport Jet Poor Preformance

TeeBAG

Cadet
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and looking for some help. I am helping a friend fix his 94 Sea Rayder. I have been reading alot of the posts and desided to post my own. Heres the run down. The boat is absolutely spotless and the problem we are having is it wont go over 24mpg( on the speedo not sure how accurate that is) and also has a hard time planing out. One of us has to go to the bow to plane. 9 times out of 10 when you hammer it out the hole it will race up for a second like it wants to goto WOT but then backs down. Thought it might be the impeller or wear ring and checked the clearance and its .013, from what I read that is a tad much but I dont think thats the problem. Its a 90hp Sport Jet with a red stator. Did the Ohm readings on the stator and trigger and here they are.

Stator:
Green/White to White/Green: 692

Trigger:
White/Black to Brown: 1250
White/Black to Purple: 1160
White/Black to White: 1247

The service manual we have really only covers the black stator and if the figures are the same I would have to say the stator is bad. Is my assumption correct? Thank you in advance for your help.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 94 Sea Rayder F14 90hp Sport Jet Poor Preformance

You need to check fuel pressure , Carb sync , and reverse gate clearance at WOT , also is the hull clean and the ride plate sealed and straight ?

TeeBAG

Cadet

We got a chance to look at it tonight. Wont know about the fuel pressure until we go for a trial run tomorrow. Checked carb sync and they are in sync now. Reverse gate is just above jet at WOT. Hull is spotless. The only thing I noticed with the ride plate is a couple cracks in the seal right on the front corners but the plate is straight. Something we did find is the tubes that go between the carbs(not the fuel lines) were plugged. What are those and I'm guessing they shouldn't be plugged. We cleaned them out and reinstalled them. How far down should the ride plate sit from the bottom of the hull. It sits about 3/16" below the hull. Should it be flush or dropped some? I was going to install a 6 pulse tach also and had read that is needs to be hooked to the "Grey" wire. The only grey one I could find comes from the rectifier. Is this the correct wire? I'll post the fuel pressure results tomorrow. Thanks in advance for the replys and the help as well.

TeeBAG

Cadet

Ok after installing a tach, a fuel gauge and rebuilding the fuel pump. The engine will only rev up to 4100 on plane but will jump to around 5100. Fuel pressure is around 3psi at low speed and around 6.5psi at high. Where should I go next for testing?

e-spin

Cadet

Now that's starting to sound like my old trigger. It would work for a while and then stop working (4200 rpms)for a while. Finally It would run no more than 4200 rpms ever, and it was a surprisingly long time before I got back to testing the trigger, which I was able to get to fail the ohm test and finally replaced it, and it has been working well since. Kend301 suggest turning the engine to several different positions and test the trigger at each position

TeeBAG

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I'll try testing the trigger in many different positions and try and get it to fail.

TeeBAG

Cadet

Ok going to order a trigger. Here is the serial number off the engine OEO67162. Which trigger do I need?

TeeBAG

Cadet

Installed a new trigger and still the same problem. Where should I go from here?

nate_1503

Cadet

I would pull and clean the carbs or rebuild them depending on the shape they are in. its a part of having a carb engine i do it every other year just to clean and all as a preventitive measure in the least... and if it fixes it great, also try and find the high end adjustment on the carbs and see if its set right... check the accelerator pump when u pull it down, may be a bad diaphragm casing the problem and the burst to 5100 rpm is it breaking loose hear and there.

e-spin

Cadet

Since we seem to be using the brute force method, let me suggest the following. While a leaking ride plate seal can rob performance it should not prevent the engine form turning at max rpms. Have you tried disconnecting the Rev limiter? You can also pull the plugs and see if there is a clue there. When I diagnosed my trigger, I used a simple(cheap) in line spark indicator and while the #2 spark was there(ouch) it had a weak orange glow instead of a strong blue/purple glow that I observed on #1 and #3. BTW,The worst case is that it's the control box which is expensive and it is a differential diagnosis, meaning when we are sure everything else is OK, then it's the control box.

TeeBAG

Cadet

Yeah tried disconnecting the rev limiter no change. But that was with the old trigger not the new one. Pulled the plugs and the top one was pretty nasty and they got better as we went down the engine. I'll try the spark plug tester on our next run. Anything else I can check on land with out the engine running?

TeeBAG

Cadet

Will also pull the carbs and see what they look like.

nate_1503

Cadet

honestly i would just replace the plugs for starters... its what i normally always do when a ski or boat comes in w/ a performance issue so i know up front where they stand. could be a cracked isolator doing weird stuff...

TeeBAG

Cadet

That was the first thing I did as well. Wasn't the problem.

TeeBAG

Cadet

Which carb kit do I need? I think they need a rebuild. All the vacuum lines were gummed up and my guess is so are the carbs.

TeeBAG

Cadet

After pulling the plugs and noticing the middle one was clean after 2 runs we pulled the carbs to look and see how dirty they were only to find they we spotless but discovered the middle carb float needle was stuck and not allowing gas into the bowl. Fixed that issue and put it all back together and the boat runs like a champ. We had it topped out at 36-38mph on gps. What do these boats top out at?

e-spin

Cadet

Mine recently did 34MPH with just one driver measured with my GPS.

wildlifeguy

Cadet

Great post Teebag. it seems like you went through alot of diaognosis and work to get back to "champ" performance. If you would have only fixed the middle carb float, do you think that would have resolved the issue from the get go or do you think that all the work you did resolved the issue?