Maint message of SeaDoo

RWestman

Cadet
I have a 2000 SeaDoo GTX. The kids took the jet ski out the other day, came back complaining of sluggish performance, and I found the engine compartment about 1/3 full of water. I drain the jet ski and it ran better. However, it cuts-out at times when given full throttle and there is a Maint Message on the display.

1. What is wrong?
2. How do I find out what the Maint. Message is referring to? Something like a car where you can pull a code and figure out where to look.
3. Does this model have a bilge pump? If yes, where is it and how do I fix it since there was water in the engine compartment.

If you need any additional information please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks ahead of time,

Ron

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Maint message of SeaDoo

1) First you have to find out why the water got in there in the first place. Is there a leak? Dry it out completely and splash it in the closest lake or river. Check for water intrusion with it not running. No leaks? Start the engine and check for leaks. No leaks? Chances are good they rolled the ski. That could have left you with anything from water in the carbs, water in the gas, fouled plugs, wet coil packs, etc. All would cause poor performance issues. Also possible they sucked up some crap and overheated the ski. You can remove the power valves and check the pistons for scoring.

2) The ski has an electronic control module (MPEM), but I'm not sure if it stores trouble or maintenance codes. You may have to check with a certified tech for that. Once you do repair the ski, you also have to clear these codes from the the MPEM to clear the trouble LCD readout.

3) No bilge pump per se, but they should have plastic vents clipped to the bottom of the hull interior, near the back, with 1/4" black hoses attached from them to the back of the boat. These will remove any water in the ski while it's moving. They work on the venturi principle, and as long as the bottoms of the vents aren't clogged up with any crap, they work extremely well. Just slide them out of their clip and flip them over to see if they're clean. Easy to remove and clean if they are gummed up with oil and or muck.

Here is the online service manual (not the owners manual) for your ski. Just click the blue DOWNLOAD button and it will open in PDF format. It's free.

http://seadoomanuals.net/manuals/2000-seadoo-shop-manual-1.php

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Maint message of SeaDoo

Fireman 431: Great advice--right on the money. I would also check around the transom on the boat to see if any of the thru the hull fittings have come loose and are leaking.

I had a leak on an older SeaDoo XP through a hull fitting to the Variable Trim System (VTS), and it ruined the electronics on the VTS. The water damage did so much damage that repairing the ski was too expensive. I junked the machine.