96 Sea Rayder 175hp

redneckabbott

Recruit
I'm no boat person and my buddy isn't a computer person so I'm trying to help him out. He just got a jet boat with a 175 mercury. As soon as you crank it, the overheating alarm comes on, probably because it idles to low. He's had it on the lake twice and both times it shut off after being ran for 5minutes and started back after cooling down. He's wanting to know where to begin looking for the problem. Any help appreciated!

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 96 Sea Rayder 175hp

Sorry, don't know much about the 175's. The 90 and 120's used water from the jet. I know those engines had narrow water jackets and would often get small rocks and/or leafs clogging them...but again I'm not familiar with the 175's...and I don't have a manual for one.

Since he just got the boat you may try and look for the water pickup/hose. On the 90/120's, it's between the engine and stern of the boat. It has a brass elbow on it and the hose is about 1" diameter. If it's there you may be able to follow it to the pickup in the jet and look for obstructions/clogging.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you out!

Here is the brass elbow for the water pickup on the 90/120 (water line connected to hose instead of elbow):

sj13.jpg

Last edited: