1997 Seadoo GTX Not turning over - Solenoid Probelm???

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ran fine and strong until today :facepalm: Checked these things: Installed new battery first, then - crankshaft turns freely, DSS lanyard working properly, all fuses good, all wiring and connections tight and clean. Looked in my shop manual under troubleshooting for ideas.

Symptoms: One single "click" noise from solenoid when start button is pressed. Not sequential clicks though. At first try it kind of made like a half stroke or revolution, then nothing. After that, I could only get one click each attempt to start.

Wanted to get opinions or advice before I start buying new parts starting with a new solenoid. I'm good at mechanics, but not electrical troubleshooting although I have a good multimeter and know how to use it.

Is this a bad solenoid or something else I can check with my meter :confused:

Thanks ahead of time for all suggestions and advice :D

- Frozenokie

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: 1997 Seadoo GTX Not turning over - Solenoid Probelm???

Put your multimeter on the battery cable going to the starter and see the voltage/amperage before and while trying to start. If all is good, remove the starter and open it up, checking for corrosion. You might be able to swap one out with a SedDoo mechanic just to rule it out, if they can't bench test it for you.

Also, verify the ground cable is clean and solid too. Mine were tight on the battery, but had a bad ground. Once clean,all was well.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey thanks for the advice and direction Fireman431. I will do just that and let you know what I find when able :)

- Frozenokie

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also - what should be the voltage during startup? I'm thinking around 10 to 11 volts??? If more drop, say the reading is below 9 volts, does that point to the starter or bad ground? Just wanting to be sure of what I'm looking for in volts on the meter.

Thanks again.
- Frozenokie

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Used meter to check no load and under load on solenoid. All was good, so took off starter. In the process, found that the cables were in good shape and clean. Opened up the starter and found the problem. The brushes were stuck away from the ammeter contact with corrosion. Good thinkin Fireman431;)

I then cleaned everything up and put it back together. Now that the brushes slide freely back and forth, I'm pretty sure it will start right up after I install it tomorrow:)

Will post again if it does not work.

Cheers to all -
Frozenokie

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Great! I love it when things actually work out as planned! Glad it didn't cost anything more than a little labor.

As an added step, now that you know all connections are good and clean, spray them with battery terminal coating. No corrosion...ever.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Good for you. Last time I replaced the starter on my 1990 SeaDoo 587, I couldn't even touch the starter. I had to lay the bike over at a 45 degree angle, and put 18 inches of extensions together to get it out. Ended up taking about half the engine apart to get the starter back on.

My neighbor had a sister unit to mine, and he can replace starters in 15 minutes. He's been thru 4-5 starters, while I only replaced one.

I'm going to put a wear ring on my SeaDoo next year, and keep on running it. 21 years is not bad--with the starter being the only repair ever. I switched over to a Waverunner VX Cruiser last year, and it runs great.

rochan

Cadet

Wanted to get opinions or advice before I start buying new parts starting with a new solenoid. I'm good at mechanics, but not electrical troubleshooting although I have a good multimeter and know how to use it. Also, verify the ground cable is clean and solid too. Mine were tight on the battery, but had a bad ground. Once clean,all was well.