Sea Doo injection oil vs. TC-3 oil?

dentra

Cadet
what is the difference between normal outboard 2 stroke oil and the special oil you need (according to Sea Doo) for Sea Doo pwc's. I'm assuming its just some kind of additive? was just wonering?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Sea Doo injection oil vs. TC-3 oil?

You would be just fine using TC-3 oil on most Sea Doo's. My Sea Doo is a 1990 model with the 587 (yellow) engine, and the head is completely clean using WalMart's generic outboard motor oil.

If you have a SeaDoo XP (or other models with the white engine and RAVE valve), a special full synthetic oil is required. You're just about limited to SeaDoo factory XP oil. Amsoil also makes a synthetic oil that will work in an XP that's slightly less expensive. Those engines are like motorcross cycle motors--running a single ring to minimize friction and use a power valve to change the timing at a specific rpm.

sdride

Seaman

Like mamaman1 said it depends on the motor that you have. Most 787 (1996-up) need the synthetic oil. It's a low ash oil that keeps the RAVE valves cleaner. Will TC-3 oil kill your ski...No it will not but if you search around you will see this is a huge debate every time it's brought up.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

787 engines are dual ringed and the synthetic also scrapes easier and is a bit better in the lubrication department. It's $20 a gallon no matter how you cut it, so why not go with what the manual calls for?

dentra

Cadet

Thanks guys! mine is a 97 787 (white) engine and I always do buy the sea doo oil I was just wondering what the difference was! thats all!