2001 Yamaha Waverunner XL700: excessive smoking-help!!

Waterdevil

Recruit
Hello all,

I'm a 1st time PWC owner. Just bought a used waverunner from a friend. It runs good and has no mechanical issues that I know of (yet.:redface:). It was maintained fairly well, but has been sitting for a few years. Put in a new battery and plugs, and he topped off the oil before I received the machine. I don't know what brand of oil, but I know it was for a 2 stroke engine, and she started up and ran well with the exception of excessive smoking, epecially during trolling and slower speeds. I also noted that when I docked the machine that there was an oily sheen on the water. Is this normal? I'm afraid that I'm polluting the water if gas/oil is being discharged. The dock owner was concerned as well and doesn't want me docking it there if it continues.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2001 Yamaha Waverunner XL700: excessive smoking-help!!

Always check the oil injection system, it's common place for failures. There are kits you can by to bypass the oiler and then you would just pre mix your gas as you would any other 2 cycle. If it's smoking white I would say STOP running it if you like the engine that in it. I've seen some oilers that have quick connect coupler, not sure if yours has one. If that coupler is not on all the way or has gone faulty, that would certainly explain allot for you.

Good luck