120sport jet ruogh starting

dice_left

Cadet
Help motor building up too much pressure!
I checked for red stator and good spark also rest of check list. Recently bought a 1995 120 sea ray renegade with supposedly dirty carbs. Before taking it out I added dry gas and cleaned the carbs. Well the boat ran fine for about 20 minutes then stalled when we parked. After stopping the boat it would not start and the starter locked up from some magnet chips from the flywheel. So, I removed the magnet pieces and replaced the starter with a rebuilt one. Now the Motor will turn over and start out of water but it seems like there is too much compression or pressure. ( The battery is only 500 CCA) Now when trying to start in the water starter, battery and wiring get hot to the point of smoking and melting wires. Also, motor bilds up so much pressure in water that motor will not turn over until i remove pluggs

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 120sport jet ruogh starting

Melting wires? Yikes!

How did you remove the magnet chips? Did you remove the flywheel? There could be more magnet pieces/loose magnets rubbing. I'm worried that even if it cranks and your magnets are toast/loose/broken you won't get it running.

Are the teeth all in good shape on the flywheel (no missing or bent teeth)?

How about a compression test? I think you need to know what psi you have in your cylinders to help isolate or eliminate the cylinders.

***Do not start out of the water without the proper flush kit installed***

Cranking in the water = more resistance. Are you implying that it cranked well out of the water?

Hope this helps and we can get some diagnostics going here!

dice_left

Cadet

yes I pulled off the flywheel and whats left of the magnets are secure. This boat belongs to my ex and she keeps listening to another friend of hers and it just makes matters worse. Also no, I have not given it a compression test but there seems to be more than enough. It almost seems like I need more cranking amps but I'm worried about the wiring melting + the starter and battery are getting smoking hot. I found another flywheel but she will not let me put it on and ya the teeth are fine. and it gets hot in less time than it takes the gas to prime the carbs. please don't give up on me and thanks

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd really like to see compression results.

The starter may have defects as any manufactured/remanufactured item.

dice_left

Cadet

Hey thanks that's what i'm going to try next. It kinda s-cks that i have to send a rebuilt starter out to be rebuilt but I wouldn't have done it without some one else saying to. What do you or anybody else think about getting a 1000 cranking amp battery?

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not saying you need to rebuild your starter. I'm saying with any manufacturing process there are an acceptable number of defects.

Run a compression test first and isolate or eliminate that.

Battery should be 670 Marine Cranking Amps or 520 Cold Cranking Amps.

dice_left

Cadet

the starter is sticking booth ways (up and down probably because it get hot) and it should be happening with a new or rebuilt starter. I would like to get 1000 cca battery (I searched around and most people recamend 850cca or more) but unless i get some one to second the oppion my friend will not do it.