Complete Newbie to Seadoo

GiMLit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am mechanically inclined - 25 yrs Auto motive technician as well as having my own boat and playing with i/o and outboard stuff for 5 yrs or so now.
I know NOTHING about Seadoo but am going to see about fixing up friends machine. Obviously a manual would be a HUGE help but I am hoping someone can point me in the direction of some online information to help me out as far as manuals etc.

Machine is a 2000 Seadoo Millenium edition DI, 135 hp 2 stroke.
He has had to local Seadoo shop that doesn't touch it for weeks and doesn't seem to have much in the way of a diagnostic approach.
He is planning on dropping it off for me to have a look at this weekend. Based on his description I am thinking along the lines of ignition breakdown. He describes low power bogging under load, once load is removed (ie get up on plane) seems to rev out somewhat lazily but does rev up.
Dude at the shop revved it up on the trailer and said he is certain it is a fuel pump issue (odd IMHO that he can tell even tho there is zero load etc.... anyway he has worked on them for many years....... Stumbling block here is based on this couple minute diagnosis he wants $1000 to pull it all apart and replace fuel pump.
Odd that the machine worked flawlessly last fall, was winterized by this same Seadoo shop and then readied for summer use by him as well. And now it is in poor operating condition.

Anyway any pointers where to find info as well as maybe some common issues with these machines would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
GiMLit

Re: Complete Newbie to Seadoo

Not totally familiar with this machine, it could be a fuel pump, but as your stating, ensure the rectifier/coil/mpm is all functioning correctly there is certain volts the coil puts out rectifier, etc. I don't have this information off hand. I would have a better look at it before dropping it off to him. It's so hard to diagnose over the internet...

GiMLit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Villain thanks for your response. I did find a website with manuals available for download in PDF form which I am sure will be a huge help.
(www.seadoomanuals)
Yes I know it is almost impossible to diag over Internet. Not expecting a fix just some pointers if the machines have some very common issue.

Again thanks for responding and I will let you know how the link works out and what I find on this machine.

GiMLit

slag

Chief Petty Officer

I am mechanically inclined - 25 yrs Auto motive technician as well as having my own boat and playing with i/o and outboard stuff for 5 yrs or so now.
I know NOTHING about Seadoo but am going to see about fixing up friends machine. Obviously a manual would be a HUGE help but I am hoping someone can point me in the direction of some online information to help me out as far as manuals etc.

Machine is a 2000 Seadoo Millenium edition DI, 135 hp 2 stroke.
He has had to local Seadoo shop that doesn't touch it for weeks and doesn't seem to have much in the way of a diagnostic approach.
He is planning on dropping it off for me to have a look at this weekend. Based on his description I am thinking along the lines of ignition breakdown. He describes low power bogging under load, once load is removed (ie get up on plane) seems to rev out somewhat lazily but does rev up.
Dude at the shop revved it up on the trailer and said he is certain it is a fuel pump issue (odd IMHO that he can tell even tho there is zero load etc.... anyway he has worked on them for many years....... Stumbling block here is based on this couple minute diagnosis he wants $1000 to pull it all apart and replace fuel pump.
Odd that the machine worked flawlessly last fall, was winterized by this same Seadoo shop and then readied for summer use by him as well. And now it is in poor operating condition.

Anyway any pointers where to find info as well as maybe some common issues with these machines would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
GiMLit

Everything mechanical breaks at some point or another, even with the best preventative maintenance. Could be water in the fuel, leaking diaphram, stuck rave valves, electrical issues, etc. Good luck.

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could always check the oil injection system, assuming it's injected vs premixed. Blowing out a bunch of white smoke?