1995 SPX 750 with no top end?

tehxshizzit

Recruit
hello,

I have a 1995 SPX 750, with no top end.

it use to run great last summer and even when i took it out last week for the first time, the first ride with the new battery was good until i took turned it off to pick up a passenger , then for some reason ill get going strong but when i give it more gas to go faster, it boggs down at about half throttle (maybe even less)

we have checked all the lines going to the gas, new battery, general maintenance over looked and still nothing.

any help would be great thanks!

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1995 SPX 750 with no top end?

hello,

I have a 1995 SPX 750, with no top end.

it use to run great last summer and even when i took it out last week for the first time, the first ride with the new battery was good until i took turned it off to pick up a passenger , then for some reason ill get going strong but when i give it more gas to go faster, it boggs down at about half throttle (maybe even less)

we have checked all the lines going to the gas, new battery, general maintenance over looked and still nothing.

any help would be great thanks!

Does it have they grey fuel lines? If not it sounds like your carb needs rebuilt. Wouldn't hurt to pressure test it as well.

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That sounds like one of the first issues I had been having on my Craigslist rebuild...ran OK at the low end but once you went over half throttle it bogged down and had absolutely no throttle response....I swapped out a lot of things but it runs great now....just has trouble starting after it sits :(

You are smart to check the fuel lines...I think mostly everything I did was fuel/carb related:

I replaced all the fuel lines and the fuel filter
I made sure I clamped all the fuel lines as opposed to loose zip ties that were originally on there (keep those lines air tight!)
I converted the ski to premix because mine had oil injection that was burning way too much oil
I replaced the gaskets on the intake side of the engine as one was completely blown out leaking air/fuel mixture under the hood
and lastly I rebuilt the carbureuter, which I probably should have done first.

I also took the "shotgun" approach and replaced a lot as it was an old beat up and abused ski from craigslist and it wasn't working right from the start. If your fuel lines seem to be clear of obstructions and you don't seem to have intake or exhaust leaks, I would suspect the carbureuter needs a good cleaning and rebuild.

Another handy thing I did was when I replaced the fuel filter, I got a CLEAR one....so when I am working on the ski on the trailer or having trouble starting I can visibly see if fuel is moving through the lines. Cost me 4 bucks at an auto zone.

tehxshizzit

Recruit

Does it have they grey fuel lines? If not it sounds like your carb needs rebuilt. Wouldn't hurt to pressure test it as well.

yes it has grey fuel lines. that was plan Z; rebuild the carbs. lol

robcarync

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hahaha rebuild the carb was plan Z for me too....which is why I replaced everything else before the carbs....it was a nice precautionary measure....but rebuilding the carb was the one that solved the bogging issue....and adjusting the needle screws to the stock settings... the previous owner screwed with them a bit trying to cover up the top end issues...if the needles are at the stock setting and there are issues with its running rough or bogging...your entire carb probably needs a good cleaning and rebuild.