Exhaust issue!!! 1998 xl200

1997mercury

Cadet
I have a 1998 xl1200 waverunner 200 OG hours great ski. I was hauling along today then bam loss of power and loud open header exhaust sound. Pulled the seats the rear rubber pipe that meets the muffler was slit 80% around, and it has a blown hole on the rubber tube right below where it attaches to the exhaust metal pipe on the engine. It is running still and pumping water out the port side just fine. What would cause this to happen??? The inside of the pipe looks and smells burnt wher it blew the hole through, and the styrofoam that sits around the muffler is melted pretty bad. I was riding it pretty hard right before this with a passenger. Think it just got to hot from riding hard??? No warning lights went off. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Exhaust issue!!! 1998 xl200

The only exhaust issue that I've had with my two skis (1994 WaveRaider, 1997 GP1200) was a cracked exhaust pipe on the Raider last year. I'm a saltwater boater and even though I flush thoroughly after each day, the residual salt ate away at the aluminum pipe and I had to have a friend weld it up for me.

Anyway, it sounds like you just need a new rubber "tube." Your ski is 13 yrs old. I looked at mine yesterday and the rubber tubes on my older Raider look like they're going to need to be replaced soon as well.