2006 seadoo RXP supercharged, what to look for?

oldjeep

Admiral
Looking at a 2006 seadoo RXP with supercharger today. Anything in particular to check out on this model?
35 hours on it, new wear ring, impeller and seals (does that seem odd to have been done with only 35 hours?) fresh oil change and new battery.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2006 seadoo RXP supercharged, what to look for?

I think that model had the ceramic washers on the supercharger. They tend to fail by the 100 hour mark, and can cause considerable damage. There is a fix with metal washers. Not real hard to do yourself, but labor intensive.

If that model has the plastic wear ring, then replacement is not uncommon.........they wear quickly in certain environments (sand). Replacing the impeller is a little more questionable unless something got sucked into the pump and screwed everything up.

oldjeep

Admiral

I think that model had the ceramic washers on the supercharger. They tend to fail by the 100 hour mark, and can cause considerable damage. There is a fix with metal washers. Not real hard to do yourself, but labor intensive.

If that model has the plastic wear ring, then replacement is not uncommon.........they wear quickly in certain environments (sand). Replacing the impeller is a little more questionable unless something got sucked into the pump and screwed everything up.

Sounds like he tossed a few rocks through it, replaced the impeller and wear ring. We did wind up buying it and it works great - very quick. Figured out later that the reverse gate was missing - probabally a casualty of the same rock incident. Luckily the bolts to hold it on are still there and the cable works so we'll just need to get the gate.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

As mentioned, beware the ceramic clutch washers in the supercharger. They will fail. No if, only when. And when they do it's $$$.

oldjeep

Admiral

As mentioned, beware the ceramic clutch washers in the supercharger. They will fail. No if, only when. And when they do it's $$$.

I'll keep that in mind for a winter project. Its currently got 41 hours on it and won't likely have more than 60 by end of summer.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I suggest you read up on the tech tips @ http://www.sea-doo.net/. These guys are the experts.

You've got to be very careful if you go airborne--quickly let off the gas before the pump grabs the water. There may be some problems with the driveline couplers if they're abused. They probably sucked up a bunch of rocks into the pump--common problem.

My new Yamaha VX Cruiser indicates 56 mph top end, and it's fast enough for this old speed demon. (I've had hopped up PWC's since 1984.) Your RXP is a 68 mph machine with absolutely blazing acceleration. Very high limit liability and collision insurance is very much needed on all PWC's.

I don't know your family situation, but putting a 15 year old kid on one of these rockets is not something I'd ever do. It's often a matter of "when" you get hurt than "if" you get hurt.