Whats the proper way to use the Trim adjust?

chiazman

Recruit
Just got a used Polaris SLH waverunner, it has a button on the handlebars for adjusting Trim up and down. Exactly what does Trim do? And how much will it effect the ride on a PWC?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Whats the proper way to use the Trim adjust?

Similar to trimming a boat. Putting the nose up tends to give you better straight line speed, but less responsive turning, you will also bounce more in the chop. Putting the nose down will increase the "bite" in turns and for most skis will decrease the bounce. You may have to try different setting to see how it affects that model ski. Since the trim works in conjunction with the sponsons.........you may have to adjust both to find the best ride. It can help in cases where the ski is porpoising, etc.. On older skis like the Polaris a lot of guys liked to trim down for starts and gradually trim up as the ski is up to speed (like a boat). If it starts to bounce you might try trimming down some.

chiazman

Recruit

Thank You Ernest T, I guess I will have to experiment with it, the first time I rode it seemed to be constantly bouncing hard on the waves and with 2 riders at takeoff seemed to be tail heavy, couldn't really go slow at all, had to give it a lot of throttle to get "on top" of the water, then if it got choppy and we slowed a bit the tail would go down again. I wondered if trim was the answer.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finding the proper trim will help. Also check the sponsons to see if they are adjustable. On some skis just a small change in the sponson position can result in a big handling improvement.