2006 Waverunner water in oil

36Tango

Recruit
This past winter my lift lost air pressure and lowered my VX110 onto the surface of the water. With my luck, it was the same time that a cold snap came through and ice formed around the ski and the lift (to the point that it could not be raised. Now (first time used for the year) I find that water made its way into the machine and cracked "something". The milky oil ends up in the bilge, the airbox, and the cylinders. Upon changeing the oil and turning it over, I can see fresh oil coming into the bilge from the lower rear part of the engine assembly.

Any ideas what is busted? How can the oil/water mix make it up to the airbox? I would assume that it gets into the cylinders from the airbox.

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2006 Waverunner water in oil

Was there actually water inside the ski? Unless the drain plugs were out when it was sitting in the water, I don't see how enough water could have gotten in to do any damage, but it does sound like a cracked block. If the ski was winterized properly, it is nearly impossible to crack a block on a Yamaha 4 stroke, because they are designed to be self draining. By leaving the ski sitting in the water, it may have prevented it from draining and let it freeze enough to crack the block. Only way to get oil in the air box is overfilling it when you changed it. That may have nothing to do with the oil leak into the ski. There is an overflow tube that empties into the air box from the oil tank. Does the ski start? You need to get all the water/oil out of the hull, with the ski cold there should barely be any oil showing on the dip stick (maybe none, since this is a dry sump system and you always have to check the oil with the engine hot). Remove oil from the oil tank if it is overfilled. Pull out the air filter and see if it has oil on it. Put some rags around the bottom of the engine, and crank it to see if you can tell where it is coming out. You may be looking at a very expensive repair if the block is cracked.

36Tango

Recruit

Was there actually water inside the ski? Unless the drain plugs were out when it was sitting in the water, I don't see how enough water could have gotten in to do any damage, but it does sound like a cracked block. If the ski was winterized properly, it is nearly impossible to crack a block on a Yamaha 4 stroke, because they are designed to be self draining. By leaving the ski sitting in the water, it may have prevented it from draining and let it freeze enough to crack the block. Only way to get oil in the air box is overfilling it when you changed it. That may have nothing to do with the oil leak into the ski. There is an overflow tube that empties into the air box from the oil tank. Does the ski start? You need to get all the water/oil out of the hull, with the ski cold there should barely be any oil showing on the dip stick (maybe none, since this is a dry sump system and you always have to check the oil with the engine hot). Remove oil from the oil tank if it is overfilled. Pull out the air filter and see if it has oil on it. Put some rags around the bottom of the engine, and crank it to see if you can tell where it is coming out. You may be looking at a very expensive repair if the block is cracked.

It was winterized properly, but the lift lost air and lowered the ski into the water. It was not started. It did start and run for a few minutes, but Hydrolocked when attempting to restart. The oil was not overfilled.

I suspect that the water in the airbox is coming from the overflow tube from the oil tank. Somehow water is getting into the oil tank. Besides getting into the airbox, an oil/water mix is also being pumped into the bilge. I know that something is cracked, but I cannot believe that it is the block. If water froze in the grate/pump area, could that have cracked something that would allow the oil and water to mix? It seems like the leak is low and to the back of the engine/jet.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it were winterized properly there should not have been enough water in the system to crack anything even if it was frozen. By letting the ski sit in the water, I guess it would be possible for water to get into the system, I just don't know how or where. There are a large number of places in the water jackets around the engine that could have frozen and cracked the engine if there was enough water in there, but I see no way that just freezing water around the intake could cause what you are seeing (for water to be in the oil you are looking at something cracked much further up inside the engine). You may not be able to find it without taking the engine apart.