2009 seadoo gtx 155 boggin upon acceloration

chrispcon40

Cadet
hello, hoping for some guidance here.
i have a 2009 gtx seadoo 155hp...bought it off the showroom floor 1.5 years ago. this past weekend i took it out and it ran fine across the bay (about 3 miles). took it out later int he afternoon, also ran fine. upon returning to the tie-up a friend wanted to come for a ride and the ski started bogging down on me. it idled perfectly, but the moment i hit the throttle the rpms went up but the sled didnt seem to have an propulsion. and there was a strong vibration on the port side of the engine.
i checked the intake and impeller and both were clear.
i didnt tinker with the engine at all because i was afraid to make it worse.

any ideas?

regards, landlocked

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2009 seadoo gtx 155 boggin upon acceloration

hello, hoping for some guidance here.
i have a 2009 gtx seadoo 155hp...bought it off the showroom floor 1.5 years ago. this past weekend i took it out and it ran fine across the bay (about 3 miles). took it out later int he afternoon, also ran fine. upon returning to the tie-up a friend wanted to come for a ride and the ski started bogging down on me. it idled perfectly, but the moment i hit the throttle the rpms went up but the sled didnt seem to have an propulsion. and there was a strong vibration on the port side of the engine.
i checked the intake and impeller and both were clear.
i didnt tinker with the engine at all because i was afraid to make it worse.

any ideas?

regards, landlocked

Yep, know exactly what it is. Without a doubt. You have a woodchip/stick/debris stuck in the pump system somewhere. Chances are you wont be able to see it/get to it because they are usually on the intake grate side. Pull the intake grate.

When something gets stuck in the perfectly balanced impeller, it causes vibration. It also causes extreme cavitation which is why you are revving and not going anywhere.

This happens to me about 5 times a season because i boat on lake erie with lots of debris. Normally i can rev it a couple ties and the thing shoots out. Sometimes you have to take the grate off. Good luck!

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

that is definitely a possibility. another is that you sucked it in and spit it out (stick or a rock) and dinged up the prop and/or wear ring on the jet pump. if you stick the flashlight into the pump you'll tell if the wear ring looks chewed up. if it is, remove pump, you need to replace the impeller and wear ring. SBT does a impeller swap program that is cheap for a reconditioned one. For the wear ring, you want to replace it with an OEM part...it's not that expensive and there are lots of problems with aftermarket wear rings not fitting properly.

chrispcon40

Cadet

thanks ryan / bigdaddypt. turns out after dropping it off at marina, the tech took it for a test and it ran fine. so i bet the wood chip (or something) was stuck in the impeller. it must have worked its way out before the sled got to the marina.

thanks for the feedback...

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

thanks ryan / bigdaddypt. turns out after dropping it off at marina, the tech took it for a test and it ran fine. so i bet the wood chip (or something) was stuck in the impeller. it must have worked its way out before the sled got to the marina.

thanks for the feedback...

Still have him check the impeller for dings and wear ring/impeller clearance. If it was a rock it could have wore down the wear ring a little.