1993 Kawasaki jet ski will not turn over

acudanut

Recruit
I have tried everything (even a new battery). I get nothing....I can't even unscrew any electrical plugs, without twisting all the wires. I think I need a new Electrical box, but heck I can't unscrew anything...Please help.

waterx117

Cadet
Re: 1993 Kawasaki jet ski will not turn over

if it isnt turning over at all, try jumping the solenoid. Put a screwdriver between the two leads connecting them. If it cranks, your solenoid is bad. No need for a new electrical box. Diagnose the part within the box and change out. I have lots of parts if you need any.

acudanut

Recruit

I did that already. Starter just spins and does not engage motor. Does that mean 2 problems ?

DoGood

Seaman Apprentice

yes you have two problems.
the first is an electrical problem that seems to be a bad starter solenoid.
the second is a mechanical problem
if the starter just spins and does not engage the motor then changes are the starter bendix is bad. ...or all the teeth are gone on the starter, starter bendix, and/or flywheel.

you'll have to pull the stator/flywheel cover and take a look. This is the cover on the front of the engine, a handful of 10mm(?) bolts hold it on, also has a plastic cap covering an inspection port on top, and may still have the oil pump on the front of it.

pull the cover and you'll see the flywheel and starter bendix. pull the starter bendix out and it'll most likely be rusty. You may be able to clean and oil it, but it will only work a couple times and will eventually leave you stranded and in need of a new one.

also, what ski do you have? is it a 650 or 750? when is the last time it ran?

waterx117

Cadet

Correct. The Starter Solenoid is bad if it any turns the starter when jumped. Then the Bendix is bad. Most likely rusted and not extending out to reach the flywheel.

gpnkc

Recruit

if it isnt turning over at all, try jumping the solenoid. Put a screwdriver between the two leads connecting them. If it cranks, your solenoid is bad. No need for a new electrical box. Diagnose the part within the box and change out. I have lots of parts if you need any.

I need a starter relay for a 1993 ssxi

Thanks

acudanut

Recruit

"Correct. The Starter Solenoid is bad if it any turns the starter when jumped. Then the Bendix is bad. Most likely rusted and not extending out to reach the flywheel."

Yep that's the issue and the shop claims to have broke 3 pullers trying to get the flywheel off.

Smoofers

Cadet

"
Yep that's the issue and the shop claims to have broke 3 pullers trying to get the flywheel off.

Then that shop has no business working on your ski....

I have pulled flywheels off of motors submerged in salt for 2 years and never had a problem....

acudanut

Recruit

Too bad your not near KC...I can't find another shop who claims they can fix it, or willing too because of it's age.