32mph on choppy water

khusson1

Seaman
Had my 95 tracker w/ 90hp inboard jet out yesterday for the first time this year. Replaced a bunch of parts at the end of the season last year. Full tank of gas and 2 grown men, along with a little bit of gear and i got it up to 32 mph (gps verified). Does this sound about right??? New wear ring, impellar, ride plate/grate, stator, volt reg.....

Wat concerned me a little is the throttle response . In forward or reverse, not much happens for about 1/4 thottle. So wen i move it forward from the nuetral/idle position, i have to go at least a 1/4 of the way forward before the rpms start climbing. Any ideas?? Simple cable adjustment??

crablegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 32mph on choppy water

Had my 95 tracker w/ 90hp inboard jet out yesterday for the first time this year. Replaced a bunch of parts at the end of the season last year. Full tank of gas and 2 grown men, along with a little bit of gear and i got it up to 32 mph (gps verified). Does this sound about right??? New wear ring, impellar, ride plate/grate, stator, volt reg.....

Wat concerned me a little is the throttle response . In forward or reverse, not much happens for about 1/4 thottle. So wen i move it forward from the nuetral/idle position, i have to go at least a 1/4 of the way forward before the rpms start climbing. Any ideas?? Simple cable adjustment??

What size boat? That sounds about right to me

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My tracker with a '95 90hp Sport Jet runs 30-32 on the water by GPS (maybe a few more going down river!). It does take a little RPM's to get thrust built up. The 18.5 aluminum boat with decking, carpeting, trolling motor, etc. eats up a little of the speed compared to the glass jet boats. WOT should be 5200-5400 RPMs if I remember correctly.

Also if you notice a slight drop in RPM's from 'almost WOT' to full throttle it's probably the carb synchroniztion. Pull the sound attenuator and look down the throats of the carbs. Should be completely closed in nuetral and completely flat at WOT. If not, there are posts about that on here or post back and we'll go thru it.

Great to hear you're on the water!

khusson1

Seaman

18 ft alum, decked, trolling motor etc.
There are little hash marks on the.sides of the carbs or on the linkage that shows where the flappers are. I will double check tho.

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, if you have 2 people and on choppy water you won't get any better and you'll get a lot of cavitation. If I'm by myself on choppy water I get even more cavitation so I'll fill the livewell 1/2 to 3/4 full to help get some weight over the intake.

khusson1

Seaman

I did get some cavitation and I actually thought about filling the live well, but didnt know if the extra weight would decrease performance or not. When the river goes down a little im gonna get back out there. gotta replace a small piece of fuel line first... got a small leak.... I think I cranked the clamo down too tight and it cut into the line. What I cant figure out is why the leaked fuel/oil mix is yellow when its laying in the bilge area underneath the carbs. Its not coming from the carbs, either, I just replaced all the gaskets

Thanks for your replies