What do you think?

mercmafia

Cadet
So, I am looking at buying a 1997 Kawasaki 900 stx tomorrow. The owner says it was taken out this weekend and the engine threw a main bearing? And its a $45 dollar part on ebay? Also the top-end of the motor was rebuilt last year. Not a bad price on it at $500, just wondering what my iboat family thinks

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What do you think?

Without looking up any parts, I would guess that the seller is telling the truth.....sort of.

45 sounds about right for a main bearing. The problem is in the installation. Basically the motor needs to be rebuilt. A main bearing is a big job to change. I would also ask how he knows that the main bearing went bad. And as far as the top end being rebuilt, What does he mean? Did he burn up a piston, and just throw a new piston in it? Then the contamination from the bad piston got into the lower end of the engine and take out the main bearing?

I know it is cheap, but if you buy it, consider the motor to be garbage, and you will have to do a complete rebuild, or replace it completely if the cyls are damaged too badly.

If you get it and find that you can fix the engine cheaper, consider it a bonus.

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What do you think?

If a bearing went bad, metal's contaminated the whole bottom-end. Yes it's a crap-shoot. You can buy a short-block from www.shopsbt.com