1994 Bayliner Reflexx

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im a truck guy not a boat guy.. Dad bought this boat and we took it out it started right up at the launch ramp and we drove it on the lake to the lake house.. pulled up to the dock and it died. Couldn't get it started after that, had the local marine engine people come out and try and get it running at like 50.00 a hour and he just ended up burning out my starter.. Originally there was no spark but he disconnected the kill switch and got spark, then he just kept cranking it till the started melted. Ive read a lot on these Sport Jet 90's from this forum but i haven't found a post showing me exactly where the number is on this boat so i can order new starter and carb kits for the 3 carbs. just gonna go head and rebuild them to eliminate that option. Also from what i read the fuel pump should be rebuilt as well. Can someone show me a pic of where to find the engine number and a good site for parts for this thing?

EDIT: i did order the clymers manual for it should be here in a few days

Thanks!

emoney

Commander
Re: 1994 Bayliner Reflexx

Not sure where the motor # is, but you should be able to order everything you need just by year and model number('94 Mercury Sport Jet 90). It wasn't until '96 that they changed those, and not a whole lot then. Read the sticky thread at the top of this particular forum and you'll get some good tips about starting, etc.

There's two different stators it could have; one that's good and the other not-so-good. You want the "red" one.

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

in the pictures i posted i believe i have the RED one cause i have 2 yellows and a white/green and a green/white with a blue wire coming out of that little rectangular box the 2nd and 5th picture i posted with the YELLOW sleeve should be those wires

emoney

Commander

Then you're already ahead on the deal, lol. Just for information (and because I hate to wait), I purchased a manual off "Fleabay" for less than 10 bucks that he emailed to me. Don't have a hard copy unless I want to print it off (which I don't), but you get the manual a lot sooner and it's the OEM service manual instead of the clymer.

Couple of simple points, you probably already know, but here they are anyway; it has an auto choke by pushing the key in when turning; the knob by the throttle is to be pulled out and allows the throttle to work as a warm-up lever; even though the tank is built in, it still needs the bulb pump a time or two when first starting and sometimes after sitting for a little while, and lastly, you can assume the fuel lines are probably bad if it's been sitting for a while simply because of the Ethanol. A fuel/water separator is one of the least expensive aftermarket installs and the one you'll be most glad you put in.

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

ha actually i just found the orginal paper work for the boat an it has the manual i just ordered so i hafta now wait for the new one to arrive so i can return it cause amazon has already shipped it

emoney

Commander

At least you don't have to wait to start work on her.

jmff38

Cadet

I bought a starter on Amazon from Mountain Power Systems, Inc for $80 plus $10 shipping. Is listed as a new starter, but kinda looks like it was a rebuild. Anyway, it works fine.

moonbuggy

Cadet

Try the yellow pages for an Alternator/Starter repair or exchange shop. Lot faster and cheaper. I know, it's way old school:). I did it for mine and spent 65 bucks;). Plus, "same day rule".
Also, your Eng. Ser. # should be right on top the motor, behind the flywheel cover (not under), facing the stern of the boat. Exmpl: 0E030788
It's also good to know where to take your starter should you: bust an internal magnet loose jumping waves:D or happen to gouge the wear ring and burn up the centifical clutch wondering why the motor doesn't turn over but the starter does:facepalm:.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You do have the red stator , I would not rebuild the carbs unless they are clogged (If it aint broke don't fix it ), but do clean the vents out

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the posts guys!

Kend301; i was hoping to get a reply out of you seeing how it appears you are the master of this specific boat.. Okay so i installed the new starter i ordered.. At first i got nothing, just the choke engaging, so i thought it was a dead battery not giving enough juice to the starter.. (Optima blue top) so i charged it for an hour, then threw it back in (turned out it was a loose connection) and the boat actually started instantly.. (last time it was in the water which was a few months ago the tech guy burned out the starter trying to crank it and nothing) like WOW and then i paniced cause i didnt have the hose hooked up to it.. :( so shut it off. so i hooked up the hose with very little pressure and spent the next 5 mins or so trying to get it started, then all of a sudden it was dead again.. checked the solenoid and 2 red wires attached to a ring crimp thingy had corroded off so i re-stripped the wires (which appear to contol power to the solenoid cause the electric choke and starter wouldnt work without it) and connected back to the wire comming off the battery to the solenoid.. (constant power) and then the choke worked again but was having issues with the starter, so i used a jumper cable to go from starter to the battery + and tryed starting it that way for a few attempts then the solenoid turned the starter again on its own.. so i assume then next thing to do is replace the solenoid..

how come the boat seams to start without water then with water? dad said it always started right away instanty out of water (like just to make sure the battery isnt dead before putting it in the water) but as soon as it hits the water it refuses to start? its only started a few times in the water and its pretty rare..

sorry that was alot of info and kinda jumbled.. so what you guys think?

also.. how hard is it to actually remove this motor and throw it on a desk to work on it ?
edit - (looked in the manual and as i thought it was only 8 bolts.. my question is would it be worth it to pull the engine and work on it on my work bench? i have an engine hoist i use for workin on my truck so that wouldnt be a problem.. there just isnt much room inside that little engine compartment for diagnosis..) :facepalm:

EDIT: hows this one ? http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-3308-new-mercury-marine-solenoid-12-volt-heavy-duty-89-96158-smr6001.aspx

Last edited:

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

im starting to think i just have some bad wires hiding in this thing.. would if be difficult to replace them all?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have the battery tested ... I bet it fails the load test

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

its a brand new optima blue top marine battery it better not be bad >.<

johnpaullewis

Recruit

Just bought a 94 reflexx with 90hp. Looks like I'll be reading alot of threads. Came with a Clymer book for the motor, but wanted to know if there is such a thing as an operators manual for the Reflexx.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just bought a 94 reflexx with 90hp. Looks like I'll be reading alot of threads. Came with a Clymer book for the motor, but wanted to know if there is such a thing as an operators manual for the Reflexx.

if you are having issues you need to start a new thread , you will get the most responses that way

94ReflexxJet

Recruit

When I first bought my 94 Reflexx Jet It would only run on the trailer. Not in the water. It was the electronic switch box. I got that replaced (about $250) and it has been Running fine ever since. That is 2 years later. They are awesome boats. Well worth the time and effort.